Thread: Center cap finish

Center cap finish

I have a set of 15x6 fuchs w/hearts on 71 911,original anodize and paint finish.I would rate them at 9.5 out of 10 condition.The center cap finish does not match the wheel anodize,they are factory caps.My question is how can I get them to match?

Thanks David

member #1515
    I thought they were just anodized, they had paint too?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

re-anodize everything...
    -Jim

'72 911T
    '02 B5 S4 (RS4 Clone)
    '12 997.2 Turbo Manual
    '19 B9 RS5 (Daily)

member #1515
    I thought the 3 prong caps couldn't be reanodized because of the prongs.
    David

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    Harvey did some wheels for me and the caps were kind-a painted, as they couldn't be anodized as stated above. They looked great. I also have some Carrera 7's with original ring type caps and they don't match the wheel finish, both original. I wouldn't worry about them matching perfectly. Gled

Anyone know what paint Harvey uses on the caps so they match the anodizing?
    Mike Fitton # 2071
    2018 911S Carrera White
    2012 991 Platinum Silver ( Gone)
    1971 911T Targa Bahia Red (Gone to France)
    1995 911 Carrera Polar Silver (Gone)

No Affiliation with City of Chicago!

member #1515
    "secret sauce" I'm sure. A good paint store might be able to mix up a match.
    Try a can of Wurth silver, worth a try.
    David

Regis turd ab user
    They are going to look different even if the finish is the same due to how far out on the wheel they sit and the type/amount of light they will get, flat surface vs curved. The NOS caps I have don't really match fresh anodized but I think I'm the only one that notices. Maybe try a coat of satin clear.

Thanks for all the replies,I'll just leave them alone.

Thanks David

The cap finish varied (some were even belt sanded!!) from year to year and from mfg to mfg. They never matched the wheels exactly because the aluminum was different and the anodizing takes to the grain differently. The cap aluminum is very soft so the detail can be done in the stamping.
    Saying that, I think the original idea was to match them. We refinish them probably closer to the wheel than they were.........still a ways off.
    The way we do it still involves the all of the prep, polishing and cleaning but not the actual plating. The rest is some creative thinking....Dulling and semi gloss clearcoating....
    The new caps aren't even close and some are actually painted silver!!
    I'll add the some of the variables to a possible cap thread.......when I get a chance to open that can of worms...
    HTH
    Oh yes, to answer your question, your caps didn't match and a 9.5 is not a cap that I would fool with.....
    H