Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Should we state our opinion regarding prices?

Banned

Should we state our opinion regarding prices?

My joking and satire have stirred an interesting debate.

Is it kosher to post our opinions regarding another person’s classified ad primarily concerning a high advertised price? If the answer is “no”, do the rules apply for ads elsewhere vs ads here? If there is consistency in one’s rules then whatever standard we apply here should be applied to all classified ads, correct? If the concern is that we will possibly “ruin” a sale, negatively influence a prospective buyer, or weaken a seller’s position then why wouldn’t we be concerned for all sellers; not just the ones who advertise here?

Following this line of reasoning should we also perhaps withhold praise and enthusiasm in stating that an asking price is “really low” because it potentially weakens the buyer’s position? ("Non buyers" are famous for letting this one fly off their lips.)

We’ve all watched both scenarios play out and I find it odd that the sellers seem to squawk much more than buyers when faced with this situation. Like everything in life there is probably some middle ground and none of us should be afraid to hear someone else’s opinion. If it’s true own it; if it’s not, ignore it. If it could go either way let it lie and be thankful that we live in a civilization that allows the freedom to express our opinions.

Sellers: Be realistic and rational. It's a little naïve to soak up compliments but not expect criticism. Fortunately this is a diversified community with varying degrees of expertise. It is a good thing when people are honest with their observations. The people who “shop” here for cars do their homework. Generally a LOT of homework. I can’t imagine that they let any one person impact or influence to such a degree that it taints their thinking substantially. Now if the masses start singing in chorus, one might be wise to heed their advice.

(I will offer one caveat: Personally I don't typically offer my opinion on value unless I think the asking price is off the chart. Over the last couple of years the market has been almost too unpredictable to even have a public opinion.)

So, my initial question stands.
    Last edited by Frank Beck; 10-01-2014 at 04:20 AM.

One of the things I like about the ads here is the healthy debate about the vehicles offered for sale (as opposed to Pelican, for example). I've purchased three six-figure cars that I've found here (one advertised here, and two on other sites that were re-posted here) and I can honestly say that the discussions surrounding both cars influenced my decisions to purchase the cars - and one of the cars was considered, by some at least, to be significantly over-priced.

I think most sellers who post here regularly have learned to roll with the punches and, the best of them, appreciate the attention their cars attract and the debate that ensues. I can't imagine that limiting that debate in any way is going to serve the greater good.

ps … LiveFromNY - shouldn't you be driving in Italy … or have other things to be doing ?@!?!?!

Agree though
    Healthy debate, open market, willing sellers and willing buyers ..
    And i also find that the criticism/comments are constructive … generally good humoured …. and everyone keeps on learning more ….

And certainly agree - with prices as they are … everybody should be doing their homework ….
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)

Agree...there's nothing wrong with scrutinizing these ads. It promotes forthright descriptions. You shouldn't be able to get away with BS whether you're member here or not. A seller should feel comfortable with his ad to where he will field any question or comment with ease. If the seller is uncomfortable with this, he usually has a BS ad IMHO. It's educational as well. F-Chat also let's readers/members comment on their ads and it can get pretty hairy over there. I think it's good for the hobby.

Banned
    The argument I got was that boisterous commentary is not "invited" to a classified ad. I find this position peculiar to say the least.

In an open, online forum with free ads don't we give up many (all?) self-serving expectations for the overall benefit of the community? I think what has happened is that some have imported rights and entitlements that they have enjoyed in the past from a paid advertisement. The other argument is that it's disrespectful to the seller to offer opinion. Here's the litmus test: When the seller believes his personal desire or agenda supersedes the greater good of the community, we're in trouble.

I think we need to nail this down otherwise we will have confused (and perhaps angry) classified advertisers here because they don't understand or accept the culture that has been established in this forum. A culture which I am very thankful for.

I am all for rigorous debate regarding a car for sale. That includes asking price, condition, correctness, etc.. However, show respect and don't be obnoxious about it unless the seller goes there first. I wholeheartedly agree that in some cases sellers, whether it is parts or a car, are just dreaming(cough...Heinz...cough!) and/or did not do their research! What really pisses me off is when a seller shows no humility and is belligerent. People do need to do their "due diligence" before listing an item for sale. Some don't do that and when questioned become hostile instead of engaging in constructive discussion. Then, it's fair game and open season!

In the spring, I listed a pair of Recaro seats for what I thought was the "going" price. I guess I was delusional but from my research I thought I was close. Well, I was wrong but I was flexible enough to adjust my price and they sold. Both the seller and the buyer were happy.
    -Chris Mohr

S Registry #1978

As long as the comments are about the item and not the individual then I think it's fair game.

-Dave
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

Banned
    Kudos Chris.

To your point: When someone lists an exceedingly high price with a "or best offer" that is an online auction in spirit and in deed. Who's kidding who with that gimmick?
    This is a sure fire way to piss off the tribesmen and creates instant tension; maybe even to the point of establishing "open season" on them?

I apparently list Porsche things too high all the time and I am thankful for a smack down to provide a reality check. If we were all silent how would that help anyone?

Dave,

"The item and not the individual": If the item could speak, write its own ad, and accept the funds I might agree. It is the individual involved that makes these adventures fun and enjoyable. Personal attacks with evil motives? There is absolutely no place for them here. Jesting, sarcasm, and banter? Unless we're a bunch of thin-skinned high school girls why not?! What fun would this forum be if we let every edgy or sarcastic comment ruin our day? Sounds very boring to me.

Life is too short to take oneself too seriously.

Gburner
    I prefer the way Wayne did his for Cars for sale board.
    He has a car for sale forum with no comments, and a Market place forum for comments.
    http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cars-sale/
    No comments on the for sale board.
    He does provide a separate market place forum where anyone can comment on any car.
    Which is fine as I just want to see whats for sale not whats been bumped to the top by opinion.

As a seller it is difficult enough to deal with all the valid questions from valid buyers.
    You place your ad here to sell something not to be judged by the self proclaimed panel of experts here.
    Do you want a 911 for sale section or as many prolific posters here prefer a car for sale forum biased by popular opinion?
    I predict a cars for sale forum littered with troll postings would not encourage people to place cars for sale here.

The price opinion trolls always help my stuff go quicker..
    its a free bump to the top and if the peanut gallery chimes in as well.. it will stay on top and sell quicker for sure every time..

lots of folks will not post here because of the mean spirited posts i hear all the time..