Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Watch for "Want to Buy" Scammers

All,

I just received a PM from a newly registred member. His first post... Very suspicious. See his message:

Bidding You Happy New Year ! ! ! We're currently parting out and clearing the garage with lots of original parts for sale. A number to call you is very important. You can e-mail me on tom.h.copeman@gmail.com

Many thanks again and regards,

Tom Copeman
    United Kingdom

That's not suspicious, that IS a scam

Another scammer:

Quote Originally Posted by early911t
    We're currently parting out and clearing the garage with lots of original parts for sale. A number to call you is very important. You can e-mail me on jbuchanan468@gmail.com

Cheers,

James Buchanan
    United Kingdom

This may be a dumb question, but why do the scammers say that a phone # is "very important" ?
    Aside from making contact, what else can happen?
    Thanks.
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by ptrsbtrs View Post
    This may be a dumb question, but why do the scammers say that a phone # is "very important" ?
    Aside from making contact, what else can happen?
    Thanks.
    Peter
    to appear as a very seroius seller....

Ahh, o.k. Thanks.
    I thought they were able to glean some kind of intel from it.

Trust is to be earned.

With that in mind I don't put a lot of faith in most "internet" merchants until they prove themselves. I had a really bad experience last year with an Ebay hustler who was selling a purported "all original motorcycle". He feigned "straight up" but I never got the warm and fuzzy feeling. Because of that I actually drove 6 hours and spent $200 in fuel plus my co-driver's pay to inspect the item before purchasing it. In retrospect the idea of a "non-refundable" deposit should have been a STOP NOW but that was his "leverage" to allow the winning bidder to buy the item and in retrospect a guaranteed profit regardless of the outcome.

Upon arrival and waiting for and hour and a half for him to show I inspected the piece and immediately realized it was far from the description. The pictures he had taken were as bad as any "Vaseline on the lens" Hollywood close-ups.
    The paint wasn't "all original" and had been touched up with a brush at least 2 inches wide. It was advertised "as is where is" and I knew it did not run but have bought many in the same state, however, he had conveniently left out the fact that the kick start mechanism was broken. This section in a transmission costs a minimum of $1,000 to repair. In the ad he claimed it kicked through "smoothly". Baldface lie as the engine couldn't make a half a revolution in its condition. In fact the kick start lever was bent and cracked from somebody attempting to "jam it through" to get a full rotation.

After pointing out this and the hidden dents and scratches (not shown in photos) and paint brush repairs on the frame I suggested that a negotiation on price was in order. He became a very different person becoming quite agitated and over-reacting as if I had called his mother a bad name. Then he had the audacity to accuse me of wasting time and it was "all my fault for not asking questions". I wasted time? 6 hours one way?

Before he got any angrier my co-driver and I made a retreat to the truck and trailer. We were in the boonies and didn't think further discussions were going to get us anywhere but a fist fight or worse. After getting home I asked for my deposit but as of yet no joy from him or PayPal.

The final kicker is that I left negative feedback to which he never responded. He did, however leave a pretty shoddy opinion of me in his new ad.

Dave Olimpi refers to such events as "tuition".

I wish everyone well with their endeavors to buy and sell.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Scam alert

Guy call himself Henry E. Delgado Ordonez
    Claims to have parts, in this case distributors then sends pictures.
    Sent the wrong picture then I questioned and he sent correct one
    Will only take money gram claimed his PayPal was hacked
    Wants money sent to Maryland
    For $110 so he is petty as well

Quote Originally Posted by Adore911 View Post
    All,

I just received a PM from a newly registred member. His first post... Very suspicious. See his message:

Bidding You Happy New Year ! ! ! We're currently parting out and clearing the garage with lots of original parts for sale. A number to call you is very important. You can e-mail me on tom.h.copeman@gmail.com

Many thanks again and regards,

Tom Copeman
    United Kingdom
    Very similar to what I've received here and on the bird in response to my WTB found here: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...344#post817344 New member, zero posts, screen name michaelz.

Quote Originally Posted by michaelz
    I can be of a great help with your need as described in your advert I just stumbled on. Let me know all that you seek and a phone number to reach you. I'll quickly get back with you on this and what is available. E-mail is best on durhamm78@gmail.com

Cheers,

Michael Durham
    United Kingdom.
    (a) 1970 911T Sportomatic coupe
    (b) 2016 E350 4MATIC wagon; parts hauler for (a)
    ESR #1474

Teenchy
    I had same note from Durham same email.....he is in fact a scammer.
    Bought some sunroof parts. Same issue no photos and no PayPal.
    Frank
    73.5 Snrf T
    71 Snrf T
    70S targa
    76 914 2.0
    82 Targa,
    85 Alfa GTV6
    60 Lancia Appia Zagato GTE
    Searching for transmission 7115322 (911/01)