Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Bearing/Spacer alignment issue

Bearing/Spacer alignment issue

I hate to cross-post like this, but I'm not getting any traction on the Bird, and this is puzzling me. Here goes:

I'm repacking the bearings on a hub with 47mm offset, and 58mm bearing cap. The stamping is difficult to read, but appears to be composed of at least "901" and "605". This hub is destined for mounting on vented rotors, with "S" brakes. I've tried two brands of bearings, both marketed as correct for this application.

The race is firmly pressed into its seat, the bearing is seated in the race, and the seal is pressed into the hub. There is no clearance between the race and its seat - confirmed by probing from the outer side of the hub. I've used a spare wheel spacer to check that the hub will seat properly when installed on the strut.

As you can see in the attached photo, the seal isn't seating against the wheel spacer - it's off by a couple millis. The spacer is butting against the bearing, internally. Before I go any further, I'd like to hear the board's thoughts on the issue... am I missing something, here?

Thanks in advance.

Name:  IMG_1405.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  51.1 KB

What makes you think that isn't correct? Put the spacer on the spindle where it belongs, then install the hub assembly on the spindle as normal, if there is a space problem you won't be able to get the bearing adjustment nut on.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

That is exactly what I did, and found the rotor offset from the spindle far enough to prevent the outer pad from installing properly. The bearing nut went on just fine. Thinking I didn't seat the inner race properly, I pulled the hub and decided to redo the work, but use a spare spacer to verify before continuing.

It doesn't look right. I'm looking to hear someone say either, "the spacer should definitely seat against the seal" or the opposite.
    Last edited by bitbckt; 10-26-2014 at 03:49 PM. Reason: clarification

But before you do that, bolt the disc up. Then you do as Ed says, see if the bearing goes on the spindle correctly. If it does, then you can check to see if the caliper clears the disc, and by how much, for a second check. Don't forget the correct torque on the bolts.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

And see here. . . look at the shot of the back of my (40mm early SWB) hub. . .see how the race is proud?

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ighlight=press

1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Whelp, maybe the problem isn't the spacer (odd, but okay). Maybe the rotors are wrong...

Hi

what is the correct torque for the bolt ao the bearing spindel? and the tourqe on the 5 bolt /nut connecting the hub to the rotor?

do I tighten the bearing with correct torque, and then loosen the bolt a lillet bit, and put the secure split in?

The torque for the hub to rotor bolts is 18-20 ft./lbs, as to the second part, there is no torque spec for the spindle nut /bearing adjustment. You adjust that by tightening the spindle nut to just eliminate bearing play, then tighten about an 1/8 of a turn further, to just slightly preload the bearings. I don't know what parts you're talking about regard the split pin, but Porsche uses a threaded split collar allowing for infinite adjustment, then it is clamped tightly with the allen bolt.
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by bitbckt View Post
    Whelp, maybe the problem isn't the spacer (odd, but okay). Maybe the rotors are wrong...
    Are you using a stock combination of parts, or is this a mix and match hodge podge?
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I have got a pair of 47mm hub fitted with new bearrings, that I need to fit for a brembo 3" upgrade. Does the 17mm swb spacer ring on the spindel have to come of, or can I use it with the new wider hub and bearing?