Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: San Francisco // Yosemite Park

Wink San Francisco // Yosemite Park

One of my Porsche dreams has always been to drive a classic 911 on the West Coast.

About 2 years ago, Freddie Hernandez of Vintage Sportscar Restorations posted the restoration project of a matching numbers Aga blue 1966 911:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...11-Restoration

Impressed by his work, focus, and determination to "make it just right", I eventually contacted Freddie and purchased the project with the idea that I would drive the car in California once completed before sending it back home to Switzerland. For about 18 months, we exchanged emails on the car's progress, and got to know each other. For me, it was a long term project and something to look forward to. Each email from Freddie was a treat and a step closer to our California trip. The car was looking better and better every month, and Freddie's work revealed itself beyond expectations.

Yesterday, I met Freddie and his wonderful wife in Sausalito and took delivery of the car (we had just flown in from Europe the previous day). We had a wonderful dinner together watching the Giants game and felt like we had known each other for many years! The car looked great and drove very very smoothly (with its solex carbs tuned perfectly).

Before posting images of our upcoming adventure, I want to thank here Freddie for the wonderful work he has done, and for being true to his word (and beyond). I also want to thank the 911S Registry for two reasons: First, because this is the forum where I met Freddie, and started this "virtual" project all the way from Europe with complete blind trust. Second, because I received great itinerary advice from numerous members, having posted my trip project on the North California regional thread, which was extremely helpful to shape our present trip.

Thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Awesome story! Looking forward to the details...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

It looks like you've already had a great start to your trip. Can't beat picking up a new '66 a day after flying in!
    Carl Bauer - OBP
    1979 RoW 911SC
    1969 Subaru 360 - 1969 Winkelmann WDF1 - 2016 KTM RC390

Welcome! My wife and I are just back from Yosemite and the High Sierra (driving an Audi Q3 and not my 911). You could not have picked a more perfect time of year to visit our part of California.

-- David

Beautiful city, beautiful light, hope Freddie fixed the brakes.....

We're off today to Yosemite!

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Just arrived at our log cabin in Yosemite park...car ran flawlessly from San Francisco under a blue sky! Stunning road....

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

I didn't dare the Bullitt style driving especially not on Fillmore street...I've never seen a street that steep not even in Montmartre ;-).

What I found impressive about Freddie's work is the lack of wind noise when the windows are closed, it may sound like a detail, but it's very hard to adjust and a very pleasant surprise when you're spending entire days on the road.

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Yosemite Valley...8 hour walk...stunning views...

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com

Enjoye Yosemite. Too often those who make our home in California forget how beautiful it truly is.
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

Cathedral Lakes....

Milou / Registry #884
    www.ecurielyford.com