Thread: Making sense of engine numbers

Making sense of engine numbers

I'm trying to make sense of the engine numbers for a '69T I purchased a few months ago. I searched the registry but haven't found much pertaining to the numbers on the case, heads and fan upright. The motor is not original to the car so I don't know the exact build specs of the motor. Any input and direction would be great. Thanks!
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Dave Raab
    O6 R702 ESR1852
    1986 Carrera

Well...your case appears to be from a 3.2 L SC...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Banned
    I doubt anyone will make sense of the eng number except the guy who stamped it; that's not a factory stamp.

Definitely a late motor.

Anytime we go into these "blind motor" scenarios we usually dyno and check cam number on end of the cam; that will tell you what state of tune.
    If it's got MFI and not carbs you've probably got a mildly hot motor there; one that someone spent some dough building.
    If it has 40IDA's and small venturis then it's probably a stock CIS/DME motor with carbs thrown on it.

(The A/C pulley and no A/C would lead me to believe it's probably a stock motor.)

How about pics of intake and exhaust?
    Last edited by Frank Beck; 11-01-2014 at 08:54 AM.

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    The case is probably a 3.0 SC case as it has sump plate castings. When the 964's came out all replacement parts that are interchangeable with earlier castings were changed. I bought a new cam housing in like 1990 for an early small journal application and it had 964 casting #. So the above engine is a mix of parts for sure.

Thanks for the input guys.

The motor has 40 webers installed. I don't have info on the Cam numbers unfortunately. I have some info from the previous owner indicating it is a 3.2SS build, single plug but that information is limited as well. I am happy with how it runs and it "feels" like a strong motor. Here is a picture of intake and exhaust
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Dave Raab
    O6 R702 ESR1852
    1986 Carrera

Banned
    Dave,

Looks like a crime scene.

Everything in your photo makes sense except the pen. What was that used for? Is this a riddle?

How about a pic of the distributor?

Haha! There were no Porsches injured in that photo. I'll post a picture of the distributor when I get home. I don't have a good comeback for the pen in the photo. For some reason I feel it necessary to have a pen handy at all times. Probably some weird DNA glitch
    Dave Raab
    O6 R702 ESR1852
    1986 Carrera

This is my thread on the case casting revisions; as in your first photo:
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...case-Revisions
    Porsche Historian, contact for Kardex & CoA-type Reports
    Addicted since 1975, ESR mbr# 2200 to 2024 03
    Researching Paint codes and Engine Build numbers