Thread: 1972 model : zinc plated white / yellow - what parts ???

1972 model : zinc plated white / yellow - what parts ???

Hello,

is there a database where I can find such informations ???

On the french forum, we are "fighting" for yellow vs white

thanks

fred ©

If you must disagree, I'd replace zinc with cadmium for improved corrosion resistance. I believe yellow was the fastener of choice as manufactured?

Sherwood

Quote Originally Posted by carrera79 View Post
    Hello,

is there a database where I can find such informations ???

On the french forum, we are "fighting" for yellow vs white

thanks

fred ©

Fred, by 1972 the Factory was using a zinc plating with a yellow hexavalent chromium conversion coating. CRVI tends to kill the liver so it is no longer in use in many areas (It would surprise me if it were still allowed in EU)

These days, all we have is trivalent chromium, so the appearance is slightly different, but it should be yellow for that year.

It is more important to me to get the correct fasteners with the correct headmarks than the precise yellow color of the plating. . . one would lose points for 8K where it should be 8.8 and |o| (a common Taiwan headmark) where it should be VERBUS, for example.

Hope this helps!
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    There weren't a lot of clear zinc (silver) parts by 72. The most obvious are MFI injection pipes and holders. Gled

member #1515
    Hood latches and door latches?
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

The hood latch and door strikers were silver.
    Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    Hood latches and door latches?
    72S, 72T now ST

thanks for answer, i know the REACH problem with Cr6 (and now I use Cr3 instead).

Latches are white, but other parts ???
    all brake parts ? yellow ? black ?

fred ;-)

Has anyone tried the various home plating kits available? I am thinking of ordering one, but would like some input on which kits work the best or provide the most accurate color.
    Member # 2899
    1972 911T
    2004 996 C4S
    2001 996 Carrera
    2008 Cayenne S (sold)
    2004 Cayenne Turbo (sold)
    2009 997 cabriolet (sold)
    2002 996 Turbo (sold)
    1998 Boxster S (sold)
    1997 993 cab (sold)
    1989 911 3.2 Carrera (sold)