Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What short bolts for seat belt brackets?

What short bolts for seat belt brackets?

I am installing new seats in a 72T, using new Recaro sliders and bases. Need to re-install the original seat belt brackets (pictured) onto the bases, which are predrilled with threaded holes. But I need shorter bolts than the original allen-head bolts, so that I don't bottom out on the floor pan. Can anyone identify the right bolts I need, and a good source for correct-style hardware of this sort?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

Name:  IMG_6817.jpg
Views: 336
Size:  82.7 KB
    Last edited by neunelfs; 11-04-2014 at 04:19 AM.

Here is what you are looking for. Good luck finding them, though.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

member #1515
    I think he need those half height allen bolts, but those normally go in the sliders.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

Quote Originally Posted by RSTarga View Post
    I think he need those half height allen bolts, but those normally go in the sliders.
    Yes, I should pay more attention. Here are the bolts.
    They aren't as short as one may think.

short-head, and IIRC they are 12.9 or some other high-strength DIN designation

dealers have them... for a price

member #1515
    Just get them from Jim. Most dealers these days wouldn't know what you where talking about.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

I got these from Stoddard and I believe they are physically the same size/height etc. I assume the metallurgy is appropriate given they're safety equipment but I don't think they have the markings as seen in the pics from Jim.

http://www.stoddard.com/912-1/hardwa...19-042-02.html

I agree that one should get the real deal bolts if they're out there (I still might go ahead and source them if available...Jim?)

I sourced these black allen heads for the mounting of the sliders to the seat rails. I stripped the brackets then I used plasti-dip spray on the brackets and used a shorter black allen head for the belt brackets.

Name:  006_zpsfdc2af34.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  72.3 KB

Name:  004_zps7b1fde10.jpg
Views: 372
Size:  67.1 KB

Name:  003_zpsf96770c0.jpg
Views: 362
Size:  73.4 KB

Name:  002_zps65325a3f.jpg
Views: 364
Size:  65.6 KB

Name:  001_zps1a024195.jpg
Views: 370
Size:  52.5 KB

I had to use a washer under the bracket to shim them up a bit to avoid them from bottoming out. I'm not sure what the factory base fastener set up on a 69 actually was and there has been some discussion in the past with different answers but the black allen head with cad washers looks the best for me on the bases. I got them online from a hardware supplier that I now cannot remember but they should be easy to locate and if not I have some extras.
    Last edited by Bob Harriman; 11-03-2014 at 08:51 PM.

Metric Multi Standard has the 'low profile' allen head bolts,,,,,,to use the proper name.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I guess I am the only one that didn't understand or pay attention to what Alex was doing. I would just get some regular short bolts or allen heads but not "low profile" allen heads. Get the strongest bolt you can find and use a thick washer. You may have to file the holes in the seat belt brackets just a bit to mate with the two holes in the chassis and the seat frames. Remember those captive nuts were not meant to support seat belt attachments. We make adapters to fit Recaro seats in early 911s. The "low profile" bolts that I pictured are the bolts that attach the seat tracks and the seat belt brackets to the seat bottoms on LWB (69 thru 73) 911s.

Regards

Jim