Thread: Removing Targa Bar

Removing Targa Bar

Deep in the trenches in dismantling my 68 Targa fixed window. I need a little help, considering I cracked my windshield during removal and I don't want to do the same with rear fixed window.

What is the process of removing the aluminum targa bar cover? I have removed all the small screws running along the front perimeter of the bar, I have also removed the two bolts one either side near the rear fender. What else is there, the bar won't budge, and I am not sure where I can get leverage to help move it.

Does the bar come off first and then the fixed window.

Looking for some experience sharing. Thank you.
    S Registry #1280
    1970 911T
    1968 911 FWT
    1965 356 SC

Did you get the four 8mm hex nuts (two on each side) that are accessed from under the fender. They will be totally gunked up from road grit. I use a 36: long 1/4" drive extension ratchet and socket for access. You don't want to break the stud, it is welded to the targa bar.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Yes, I have removed these four hex nuts.
    S Registry #1280
    1970 911T
    1968 911 FWT
    1965 356 SC

Stretching my memory here, not like I remove these very often, seems like there were also some plastic pins that hold on the bar seal, have you tried tapping the four studs from under the fender? The cover does come off before the window, it will be somewhat stuck though. You're just going to have to look carefully for something that was overlooked.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

member #1515
    I just did this again recently. Remove 15 sheet metal screws along front, 2 plastic screw plugs on each side + the seal plugs, 2 per side nuts under the fenders.
    Try bumping the front part of the cover, (where the seal was) with the palm of your hand, also both sides, where it meets the fender. It should start to loosen. Lots of gunk over the years.
    Make sure ALL fasteners have been removed! before doing this.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs