Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 68 steering column details.

68 steering column details.

Hi, i am currently researching if a 68 had black or chrome indicator and wiper stalks.? Is the steering column the same as a, 69-71 LWB column.? If so, would the plastic clamshell be the same as a 68 car. ? Any input would be a great help.

Thanks

Dave

If I understand your question correctly, my turn indicator and wiper stalks are chrome on 68s. I can shoot pics if you need.

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Thanks Scott, that would be great. I am trying to source the parts needed for a 68 roller. I have a 70 roller that has most of it's steering column parts, and i was trying to establish if any of these parts were the same as the 68 SWB cars. Probably not, but i thought i would ask before i started to sell stuff i might need later. Done that a few times.....!

Dave

My car is very late 68MY build (May/June '68) and had a plastic clamshell with chrome stalks.
    Attached Images Attached Images    
    Tim

Early 911S Registry #1167

There are many differences between ROW and US 68 cars. US `1968 cars had black stalks and soft rubber knobs. The 68 US turn signal and wiper switch are unique to 1968. Nothing else is the same. Yes, they all have plastic clam sheel "mast jackets"
    The steering column on 68s is one of the many, in between, changes made in 68 before the change to LWB cars in 69.

Regards

Jim
    PS: Neither of the stalks from a 70 will come close to fitting in your 68.

Thanks for the picture Tim. Jim, thanks. I bet you have a bunch of stuff i need to bring this project to life !

Will the 70 steering column work in the 68.?

Here is a photo of my 68 targa steering column, plastic clamshell, black stalk with black rubber ends. vin 11880065
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    S Registry #1280
    1970 911T
    1968 911 FWT
    1965 356 SC

Thanks for the picture Max. Now i am more confused than ever. ! Maybe nobody on the board knows if a 70 steering column will fit a 68.

Sorry as I can't clear out the confusion re comparison to other years; however, if I read the posts correctly, the ROW 68 had chrome stalks (my car does) and US 68 had black stalks. Jim states the 68s are different as a whole (typical!), so you may be out of luck?

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)