Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wheel re-chromer needed close to Ontario border

Wheel re-chromer needed close to Ontario border

Hi all,
    My name is Stan and I am a huge Porsche fan! I started with a 964 C4 Cab, then moved to a 997.2 C4S (yeah, I know, not a very smart move). And now I also got this 912 that I am restoring. I promise to post some pics later.

This community is an invaluable source for everyone. Thank you all for that.

My 912 finally entered the reassembly part of the restoration. The COA says the wheels used to be chrome at some point. I did check the dates on the wheels are matching and are also 67. So I might as well refinish them instead of buying already refinished wheels or replicas. Can anyone please recommend a good place to get this done properly in US? Somewhere within 5 hour drive from Toronto is fine.

Thanks in advance
    Stan

P.S. I did try searching first

Not close to you but if you are ok about shipping then try Bolton's Classic Wheels in Gardena, California. The guys in the 356/912 community down here use them as they properly split the hub from the wheel to polish and rechrome. A lot of the guys used to widen the 4.5s there also.

There's a place in Ottawa, but it is expensive: around $500 per wheel. The chrome work I've had done there is excellent... and for the wheels, it would be a proper job with splitting and rewelding...
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Stan, have you tried the Plating House in Concord?
    Member #2666

+1 on Bolton's
    Good service, quick turn around.

I haven't and its right next to my house, thanks.

The plating house won't do steel wheels as they have to be unwelded and they won't do that. The only place in TO that will do steel wheels is Dr.Detail very expensive I inquired 2 years ago, quote started at $600 per wheel.

Stan,
    You will find out not everyone should be rechroming Porsche wheels.
    We are fortunate enough to even have someone that does a good job at a reasonable price...even if you may have to ship them.
    I recently had a customer use a local (to him) plater and while they did a good job, the price was 1500...per wheel....yes, 7500 for the set of 5!
    And that didn't even include the painting of the backs etc.
    Good luck on your restoration.
    H

And there's me baulking at 500 a wheel...
    Quote Originally Posted by Harvey Weidman View Post
    Stan,
    You will find out not everyone should be rechroming Porsche wheels.
    We are fortunate enough to even have someone that does a good job at a reasonable price...even if you may have to ship them.
    I recently had a customer use a local (to him) plater and while they did a good job, the price was 1500...per wheel....yes, 7500 for the set of 5!
    And that didn't even include the painting of the backs etc.
    Good luck on your restoration.
    H
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Thanks all,
    Correct, Plating House will not do wheels. In fact, according to John @ PH, there is nobody on Ontario that does it. So if I do ship them to Cali, what should I expect to pay per wheel?