Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How rare is a sunroof?

How rare is a sunroof?

How rare is a 1972 911S with a sunroof?

Thanks

Not rare to see on in a top-of-the-line car in '72. Plentiful by 1974 though. Rare NOT to have one by '78.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I agree, the sunroof became progressively LESS rare as time went by, particularly by the mid 70's. I laugh when I see someone advertising their Long Hood as "Sunroof Delete" as if not having a sunroof somehow makes it "Special".

I wonder though if the non sunroof coupes are rarer now than sunroof versions. My understanding, especially in the case of the '72's, were that non sunroof coupes were the choice of racers and were heavily modified and damaged. Going back to the original question, show me a '72 S coupe without a sunroof and there is a desirable car. There has to be more sunroof '72S cars out there than non sunroof models. I would think that the lack of a sunroof on a '72 would make the care more desirable and more valuable.

More "options" on an early car is better. When "options" became commonplace, not so much.

A sunroof in a 356 is a home run.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

I believe ads that attempt to make a virtue of "sunroof delete" or "non-sunroof" are not a commentary on how plentiful sunroofs are but rather highlight the absence of a sunroof to convey that coupes without sunroofs provide a stiffer body with greater torsional strength, making them better for the track.

My sense from looking at hundreds of recent for sale ads of long hoods, that sunroofs are quite rare and my guess would be that somewhere between 10-15% of 911 longhood coupes had/have sunroofs. I don't see that the incidence of sunroofs is any different across the model range of T's E's and S's.

Hagerty assigns a 10% premium for coupes with a factory sunroof, which contrasts with those who attempt to argue the opposite.

For me a sunroof is a must have.

also a SWB with a factory sunroof is a home run as this period was a rare sight to see a sunroof. Chris
    1. Chris-Early S Registry#205
    2. '70 911S Tangerine
    3. '68 911L Euro Ossi Blue

Several arguments could be made that a sunroof was less likely on an S relative to say a T from the dealer’s perspective - the entity typically responsible for placing the order. First, the entry level car came with a price tag that could accommodate options like a sunroof relative to say the high end priced model. Second, the dealer may have optioned the sunroof more often on the T relative to the S to differentiate the models and make the T or E more marketable to a status buyer. Third, the S customer probably stepped up for the engine performance relative to creature comforts and didn’t opt for the feature. ?

I’ve seen the stiffer body and head room (helmet) discussions from time to time and wondered; do we have folks these days throwing down $150k-$200k on an S to toss it around Thunderhill or such because of the “stiffer” body? I would assume that they would have much better options.

Sunroofs are rare and desirable.
    -Jim

'72 911T
    '02 B5 S4 (RS4 Clone)
    '12 997.2 Turbo Manual
    '19 B9 RS5 (Daily)

Quote Originally Posted by jloucks388 View Post
    I’ve seen the stiffer body and head room (helmet) discussions from time to time and wondered; do we have folks these days throwing down $150k-$200k on an S to toss it around Thunderhill or such because of the “stiffer” body? I would assume that they would have much better options.
    I don't think there are too many people buying them to race nowadays, but going back to the 80's and early 90's, the longhoods were generally considered the least desirable of the years and subject to molestation everywhere. To be realistic, nobody wanted the longhoods, everybody wanted the more modern look and ammenities of the SC's and Carrera's. Back when you could pick up a longhood S for 15K, or longhood T's for 7K to 10K many were modified. Hence, why original condition longhoods are so valuable today. I would think that sunroof models make up more than 10% to 15% of coupes available today. Just trying to find a decent coupe can be hard, seems most of the cars I see are targas up for sale.
    Last edited by Gearby; 11-16-2014 at 04:18 PM.

the sunroof has a frame that reenforces the roof, doesnt that make up for the sumroof opening?