Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ford GT 350 Rides Again

Ford GT 350 Rides Again

Flat Plane Crank 5.2 500+hp and 400+lb/ft. torque (naturally aspirated).

http://www.at.ford.com/news/cn/Pages...20Returns.aspx

I like it.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

nemo me impune lacessit Kris Clewell's Avatar
    pretty cool they went with a flat crank design. I bet it sounds fantastic at WOT under load. The key statistic you left out is that it revs over 8000 doesnt it? rad. I think all the ferrari stuff is flat crank, so its good to see Ford doing something noble with their performance division stuff.... I bet design and production were not cheap.
    -Kris Clewell

Professional photojournalist

red decklid club member #1

Ok, that's lust worthy. Sounds outrageous, I want one! Wonder what the bottom line will be?
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Segment buster. More in line with a Corvette than a Challenger or Camaro. Must sound really cool.

Official Release USA Today

Looks like we won't see any for "retail". Limited production. I guess those flat plane cranks are a bean counter's nightmare.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...tang/19157685/

At least GM/Chevy will build all we want.
    Early S Registry #235
    rgruppe #111

Best thing about the new Mustangs is that they now have independent rear suspension, meaning that for the first time since 1964 1/2 the Mustang can be considered a true sports car. The lack of IRS is the only thing that has prevented me from buying a first generation (or any other generation) Mustang. Have always loved the '65 Shelby 350 GT (i.e. the version without the gawd-awful looking tach and the cut out of the front bumper valence).

Quote Originally Posted by BrentF View Post
    Best thing about the new Mustangs is that they now have independent rear suspension, meaning that for the first time since 1964 1/2 the Mustang can be considered a true sports car. The lack of IRS is the only thing that has prevented me from buying a first generation (or any other generation) Mustang. Have always loved the '65 Shelby 350 GT (i.e. the version without the gawd-awful looking tach and the cut out of the front bumper valence).
    All the modern domestic muscle/pony cars now have IRS. As to the 65-66 GT350-the lack of IRS never hurt it a bit on track as the numerous SCCA titles attest to.
    67 911 , 69 911S, Ford V Ferrari 906LH, 85 Carrera...and-gasp! a bunch of Corvettes, Musclecars and Italian crap(330GTC,GTA/M,308GTB)

EarlyS # 603, GroupV #2

I've owned a few mustangs but it's been many, many years but they are getting closer to a car I'd consider buying.
    Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

I had a 66 GT350 back in the day and it was kinda cool looking, but underwhelming to drive. The current generation of Mustang, Camaro and Challenger are pretty much the same size as "full size" cars were back in the late 50s/60s.

While domestic muscle cars are getting better in just about every way, I just can't get over the mass. but all cars designed to meet new side impact standards are pretty hefty and have more 'cowl height' than I prefer.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Quote Originally Posted by Eminence Gris View Post
    While domestic muscle cars are getting better in just about every way, I just can't get over the mass. but all cars designed to meet new side impact standards are pretty hefty and have more 'cowl height' than I prefer.
    I know what you mean, I hate the size and mass of most new cars. And the high shoulders and small greenhouses look ridiculous, imo, people look like under scale toys in them. Mazda seems to be able to keep the "package' relatively small with the Miata, so maybe there's hope?
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823