Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking advice or recommendations on front bumper guards for 1973 911

Seeking advice or recommendations on front bumper guards for 1973 911

I'm looking for advice or recommendations concerning the front bumper guards on my 1973 911 T.

I am the third owner of this all original 70,000 mile car. Even the paint is factory original. The only change I've made to the car was to replace the front "sugar scoop" headlights for the Bosch H-4's. I can very easily put the original headlights back on the car should I ever decide to sell it.

The only other change that I've considered making to the car is to remove the HUGE front bumper guards that came on the 1973 US model 911's. I much prefer the clean European front bumper look without the guards. I took one of the bumper guards off and discovered that about 3 " of the trim had been cut & removed to permit the rubber guard to be flush against the bumper. My goal is to remove the guards, but do it in a manner that can be reversed.... and be able to put back on what is original to the car.

The options I've contemplated are:

1. Order a new rubber strip. Remove the existing rubber strip and install the new rubber. Questions are: a. how difficult is it to remove the existing rubber? Is it glued on? b. Who carries the best rubber strip?

2. Remove the existing front deco strip and the rubber, and replace both the deco strip and new rubber. Felt like this may be easier to reverse. Questions are: a. how difficult is it to remove the deco strip? b. Who would you recommend to buy the deco strip and rubber trim from?

All opinions, suggestions or recommendations are welcome!

Tim
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by 71 sixer View Post
    I'm looking for advice or recommendations concerning the front bumper guards on my 1973 911 T.

I am the third owner of this all original 70,000 mile car. Even the paint is factory original. The only change I've made to the car was to replace the front "sugar scoop" headlights for the Bosch H-4's. I can very easily put the original headlights back on the car should I ever decide to sell it.

The only other change that I've considered making to the car is to remove the HUGE front bumper guards that came on the 1973 US model 911's. I much prefer the clean European front bumper look without the guards. I took one of the bumper guards off and discovered that about 3 " of the trim had been cut & removed to permit the rubber guard to be flush against the bumper. My goal is to remove the guards, but do it in a manner that can be reversed.... and be able to put back on what is original to the car.

The options I've contemplated are:

1. Order a new rubber strip. Remove the existing rubber strip and install the new rubber. Questions are: a. how difficult is it to remove the existing rubber? Is it glued on? b. Who carries the best rubber strip?

2. Remove the existing front deco strip and the rubber, and replace both the deco strip and new rubber. Felt like this may be easier to reverse. Questions are: a. how difficult is it to remove the deco strip? b. Who would you recommend to buy the deco strip and rubber trim from?

All opinions, suggestions or recommendations are welcome!

Tim
    Option 2. Not hard. Don't feel bad those things are hideous!
    72S, 72T now ST

Those goofey rubber bumperettes have grown on me, but that being said I just built a 73 and deleted them, but maybe on the next one.

The existing rubber strip is held on by a metal channel and a 6mm stud at each end. It could be possible to remove just the rubber while the bumper is on the car. Trouble is the repro might not go back on as well therefor you may bee to change the entire strip. Not too hard to do but you gotta take off the bumper. Only one repro available no matter the source.

I thought those 'puffy' guards were originally cut for either the 'narrow' "T" trim or the wider "S" trim, and that they fit over the entire deco strip.
    Otherwise, when cut into 3 parts, nothing but the 2 outer ends of the rubber insert would be anchored.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

I don't have a picture, and it was many years ago,,,,but I do remember seeing the same large gap in the deco behind the guard. Don't know if that was the normal procedure?
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Why not replace (front and rear) with the earlier style guards that came in black on the Euro cars, this would also go nice with the Euro H4's and may just bolt on.
    Joe Annicelli
    Early 911S Registry #751
    Polo Red/Black 1967 Porsche 911S Coupe "Walter"
    Black/Red 1967 Alfa GTJr. Coupe "Nero"
    Italian Red 1994 Ducati 900SS/SP looks fast standing still
    Italian Red 1957 Gilera 150 Sport

Ahhhh the sixties... I envision myself one early Saturday morning wearing plaid shorts, black shoes with white socks smoking a cigarette heading to the hardware store to buy a bag of nails.
    SWB cars are an acquired taste however once acquired theirs no turning back.

I've had two 73's one had US parts deleted, the other was a euro delivery car that never had those ugly things. If it was me I'd remove them but save parts. Beautiful car!

Phil
    Early S Junkie # 658

On my car, I removed the bumper (much easier than doing it on the car IMHO) and unbolted the original trim (big ugly holes and a gap in it) and bumperettes. Then I replaced with the aftermarket deco and in my case it bolted right up.
    You'll have some big holes and some polishing to do where the bumperettes were but it is straight forward....and looks cleaner.
    HTH
    H

It's only original once....
    Ron

1973.5 911T
    1974 BMW R90/6
    1986 Carrera, Plan "B"
    1987 BMW K100RS Motorsport
    2004 BMW X3 6 speed manual transmisson

Guys,

Thanks for all the comments. Very helpful!

Which vendor has the best deco strip and rubber trim?