Thread: HELP Strange VIN

HELP Strange VIN

Hello .
    I have bought a porsche targa here in Sweden that comes from maryland if I am mistaken which has not kept the original chassis no . Someone has welded a new number that is NCS81003 and there is a plate that says the North Carolina Department of Motor Vehicles IDENTTIFICATION NUMBER .
    The problem is that I do not know what kind of model or year of the car when the original chassis no is no .
    It comes with a title and stands porsche 73 on . does anyone know what kind of number that is stamped on the body and if I can be a registration here in Sweden .
    Also interested if I can follow up what it was for chassis No. before the new number is stamped there.

Regards Ted
    SWEDEN

Hej, Sounds like it could be a car that was stolen and recovered with no identifying marks, then issued a new VIN by the state of North Carolina. Those cars have this permanently declared on their registration papers so much less value in the USA. This means they are often shipped overseas in the hope that they can be sold for closer to their market value. Did you check all the locations of the VIN - front slam panel riveted plate, front luggage compartment stamping near the smugglers box, left side A pillar riveted plate and left side B pillar sticker? (maybe another under the dash too)
    Member # 2899
    1972 911T
    2004 996 C4S
    2001 996 Carrera
    2008 Cayenne S (sold)
    2004 Cayenne Turbo (sold)
    2009 997 cabriolet (sold)
    2002 996 Turbo (sold)
    1998 Boxster S (sold)
    1997 993 cab (sold)
    1989 911 3.2 Carrera (sold)

Quote Originally Posted by SpawnyWhippet View Post
    Hej, Sounds like it could be a car that was stolen and recovered with no identifying marks, then issued a new VIN by the state of North Carolina. Those cars have this permanently declared on their registration papers so much less value in the USA. This means they are often shipped overseas in the hope that they can be sold for closer to their market value. Did you check all the locations of the VIN - front slam panel riveted plate, front luggage compartment stamping near the smugglers box, left side A pillar riveted plate and left side B pillar sticker? (maybe another under the dash too)
    Hi
    The stamp on the smuggler box is have cut away and new nr is there and the left slam panel is missing the plate. Nr under the dash is still there.
    I can obtain any info on the car with no sitting behind the panel ?
    I can check what is nr tonight.
    Ted

Quote Originally Posted by Doom View Post
    Nr under the dash is still there.
    I can obtain any info on the car with no sitting behind the panel ?
    Tjena Ted,
    The factory (and many people here) can determine what model/year this chassis was from the production number under the dash.
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

OK
    Is it possible to get the engine, transmission information to ?
    I will post No. tonight.
    Is it possible to get back the correct nr with paper so that it goes a registration with the Old porsche No
    Ted

It is possible to get the engine/transmission numbers also, but donīt expect Porsche to give it to you at this stage. They normally only confirm if the numbers you send them are correct or not. You could order a CoA from PCA (USA) or Sweden and the original engine/ trans numbers should be there. But this is getting stricter now, at least in Europe. Itīs a good thing and in my opinion the routines should be even stricter to avoid tampering with VINīs/ engine numbers.

I would concentrate on the chassis first and investigate about the engine/trans later. The routine is probably a bit different from country to country, but it should be possible to have the chassis investigated by a Porsche approved shop. If the car passes inspection, you get new papers from Porsche.

PM me your email address and I will send over some info on how this is done here. Probably very similar in Sweden.

Post pics of the car also. Probably many clues that will point towards what year your car is from.
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender

Hi
    Here is the nr under the dash 1130106

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 251
Size:  76.0 KB
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 226
Size:  67.5 KB

Info by Brian in another thread, but makes sense for your car!

Quote Originally Posted by fryardds View Post
    '1' is for 911
    '0' is for coupe; 1 is for targa; and I think a 2 is for Karmann coupe
    '1' is for '71 and so forth
    'XXXX' is a consecutive # for the shells being produced. There is no model specific # like T is 1, E is 2, S is 3, or Carrera is 6. The production # was stamped before the shell became model specific.
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender

Then the car is a targa 73.
    But the engine to the car is from 69 2.0 T 901/16 magnesium engine blocks, gearbox is magnesium 901/7 . The question is whether modelen is a 1973 Targa T 2,0L .

Ted

Yes, a 73 Targa, but with a 2,4 engine originally.
    I have sent you a PM. Ask Porsche Sweden if they can help you find the VIN and where the car can be inspected.
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender