Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rebuilding plans for a 1973 911T

Rebuilding plans for a 1973 911T

Going to rebuild the 2.4 T engine. What are opinions; leave it stock or modify? With a limited budget ($15K) what should be modified?
    Mike
    Early 911S Registry #880
    356 Registry #30248
    1973 911S 2.7 RS spec
    1973 911T
    1964 356C twin plug
    1969 Z28

What was the original intake type, MFI, CIS, Carbs.
    If CIS you can use the 2.7 CIS S cams.
    Last edited by ESully; 12-02-2014 at 03:58 AM.
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

Leave it stock.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Leave it stock. The '73 has great torque. It's probably a better car around town than an S.

1973 911S w/mechanical injection -158 @ 4000 rpm
    1973 991T w/mechanical injection - 148 @ 4000 rpm
    1973 911T w/CIS - 151@ 4000 rpm

This is from the old Bruce Anderson book.

Remember - Torque is what you drive. Horsepower is what you brag about.

I've thought about modifying mine several times. I'm told to use S pistons and the E camshaft. I might still do it at some point. Not sure why though.

Richard Newton

Don't modify the case but use high compression P&C's, rebuild the MFI to S specs and twin plug it.
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

If you modify , you'll be pulling on a thread that won't stop . E or s pistons ,new cams , port the heads , bore the stacks and throttle bodies , buy a new space cam for the mfi pump and recalibrate .If the throttle bodies and pump need rebuilding and the p's and c's and cams are worn , this may be an option .

mod it - you will enjoy driving it a lot more

keep stock parts in case a potential buyer someday wants to return it to stock - and all cars will eventually be sold

but the engine is the last thing to address - do brakes first for safety, suspension 2nd, then trans & engine

It's a slippery slope from a little to a lot $$$. I'd like to find a way to rebuild for reliability, oil leak free, new looking engine and taking an opportunity to increase power even if only slightly.

It's a MFI car.
    Mike
    Early 911S Registry #880
    356 Registry #30248
    1973 911S 2.7 RS spec
    1973 911T
    1964 356C twin plug
    1969 Z28

I am currently doing a 2.4 T motor in my 914-6. Suggest that you go to the Pelican board and look into the "Supertech Mod S" variant. 9.5 compression with JE, cylinders of your choice, Mod Solex (DC-30) cams. Port heads to 36mm. Yes it is a slippery slope but you can do this variant for basically the same price as stock (except for the new cams and modding the MFI space cam) and easily make 180 hp at the crank.

You can also retain stock appearance.

Good luck, it is an odessey.

Quote Originally Posted by chicagobreezz View Post
    It's a slippery slope from a little to a lot $$$. I'd like to find a way to rebuild for reliability, oil leak free, new looking engine and taking an opportunity to increase power even if only slightly.

It's a MFI car.
    Back in the day, I pursued that course with a 2.4 (which is really closer to a 2.3) and took it to 2.7 by opening up the case spigots. It's not a highly obvious modification, but it can deliver a good kick in the pants. Then you're looking at slippery slope items like S cams, heads with 36mm ports, bigger throttle bodies/stacks... etc. At least with a 2.7 S configuration, the space cam exists (RS profile) and you can get the MFI pump set up for it.
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute