Thread: What was the first date of production for MY 1968?

What was the first date of production for MY 1968?

My project car is #11880001 and was manufactured on 8/22/1967. obviously, it was the first US model 911 targa for that year.

I am interested in a couple of historical facts, if the community might know the answers:
    • What was the first day of production for MY 1968? (It would seem obvious that it was August, 1967, but what day?
    • How many cars had already been produced when they built the first 1968 Targa?
    • How many 1967 US Targas were built?
    • What was the production date of the first 1967 US Targa?
    • Were there any Euro-targas built before the first US Targa in 1968?

In truth, none of this matters much, but I'm interested to know how deep and specific our data is.

Thanks to everyone that responds.

Hi Mike,

Great article in Esses. I actually was meaning to write you to ask the same question regarding production date. I own 11800002, which was actually produced July 21, 1967, and was shipped to Glockler in Germany as a demonstrator. I have yet to find anyone with a lower VIN, so I was interested to see your car. Someone in the Registry has 11800003, but I don't recall seeing any posts from a low VIN targa.

To answer your last question, I would not be surprised if European cars were made before the US cars, due to the anticipated difficulties with emissions for '68. Someone here is bound to know. Good luck on the heroic restoration.

Scott
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

Thanks very much, Peanut, on several levels. VERY cool to own 11800002! that was a helluva find.

First, i found a 7/67 dated fuchs wheel, and it seemed odd to me, but if they were making the euro versions in july, '67, it makes perfect sense.

Like you, I've been told that the '68s destined for the US were made later and that Porsche was still negotiating on the requirements during the summer of '67. i have no documentation of that, however.

i'm still hopeful to know the production dates and numbers of the '67 US targas, as well as the first production dates for the '68 coupes, if anyone has that info.

Also, thanks for the compliment on the article. the restoration is coming along pretty well, the next installment should show a lot of now structural steel.

This car just popped up. BHCC says it's chassis #002, which I assume they mean 11880002. Maybe they have some info about the car.

Scott

http://www.beverlyhillscarclub.com/1...rga-c-5115.htm
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

WHOA!!! Cool!

it looks like 11880002 is optioned almost exactly as #0001. same colors (burgundy/black), wood wheel but no fuchs.

so, we have found '68 SWT #0001 and 0002, and coupe #0002.