Thread: What kind of wooden wheel do I have? Original or aftermarket?

What kind of wooden wheel do I have? Original or aftermarket?

Hi,

I have bought a 1965 912 and there is a wooden wheel in it. I am not sure whether it is an aftermarket of original. Think it is original but for a later model year, but I would like to know how I could identify this.

There is no VDM logo in it and the outside diameter is 420mm. The books I have say that the diameter for the original wheel should be 400mm (outside diameter).

The only markings I can find is the number 5444 under the horn.

Could somebody enlighten me, please?

Thanks, frankName:  IMG_6510.jpg
Views: 479
Size:  99.0 KBName:  IMG_6511.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  79.5 KBName:  IMG_6512.jpg
Views: 459
Size:  87.6 KB

It is a factory wood wheel. May be specific to 1968 but is a factory wood wheel none the less. The spokes are steel, by the way.

Ciao

Jim

Ok, cool.

Thanks for the help. How can you tell that it is an original one? The numbers or the rivets inside (they appear to be much bigger than the aftermarket ones that I have seen)?

Thanks, frank

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    Wheels are 420mm through 68. They went to 400mm in 1969.

Jim, why do you think it's a 68?, just curious.
    Eric

I believe there was a change made to wood wheels in 68. The wood was a bit thicker, I think. There may be differences with the finger grips on the back side, as well. For many years, I assumed they were all the same but I have heard this story about 68 wheels being different from more than one reliable source.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Eric

I believe there was a change made to wood wheels in 68. The wood was a bit thicker, I think. There may be differences with the finger grips on the back side, as well. For many years, I assumed they were all the same but I have heard this story about 68 wheels being different from more than one reliable source.

Regards

Jim
    I once bought a 912 (1968) from Jim, 2005, and it had such a thicker wheel and different finger grips (less deep than earlier wheels).

Richard
    searching for engine (case) 903742

Thanks for helping out on the one.

Does the number 5444 say anything? Is this is model/type/serial number?

Thanks, frank

Last week I just measured an early '66 wood wheel and an the one that came off my '68. I could tell by feel that the early one was lighter and thinner and that was confirmed when measured and weighed. Not by much and I don't have the numbers in front of me but there is a difference.

I have had quite a few VDM wood wheels and restored some as well. The 356A flat GT wheel was light in color, luon mahogany, I think. It had 10 0r 11 1/16" laminations depending on how it was sanded. sometimes they put one darker lamination between the painted grooves.

The Carrera2 wheel, later 356, had laminated sections joined by finger joints. They used, at times, many different shades on the same wheel. Of course the varnish or finish could highlight or wash out colors. I have seen many original wood wheels look really light with the old dried out, uv exposed finish. Then to find much darker wood underneath after stripping.

I have a dark wood wheel now with 5 or 6 1/4" laminations, dark glue, 21 finger notches alternating with two between the spokes. Thin grip.

I have a lighter wood, extended hub wheel with about 7 laminations 3/16" thick. Lighter glue, same number of finger notches. Thicker grip.

With these later wheels it appears, at least in my experience, that they tried to match the colors more. Although you can still see variations the overall effect is either a light or dark wood wheel. African Mahogany dark, Asian luon (sp) mahogany light. They may have used other species as well, probably.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Wood Wheel Stuff

Another thread . . .

. . . NOS

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...STIC-NOS-piece