Thread: The last Blackhawk Cars & Coffee of '14

The last Blackhawk Cars & Coffee of '14

I know I promised to finish posting all my Pebble Beach Concours images in the Monterey Car Week thread, but before I do ( this coming weekend for sure ) permit me to put up a few photos of a cool local monthly event that is usually an enjoyable way spend a Sunday morning when nothing better is going on.

The Blackhawk C & C takes place literally in the parking lot of the famed Blackhawk Automotive Museum, and in the prime spring and summer months one can see some outstanding cars on display. Attendance at thses meetings is usually 400-600 cars and they last almost until noon. Last Sunday however was was cool, overcast and pretty crappy all around, producing a much smaller turnout of only the true enthusiasts who drive their cars no matter the weather………..and the morning's overcast, indirect light made for some satisfying photography.

As always, questions about individual cars happily answered - to the best of my ability.

JZG
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Before it became Ruprecht, my Porsche was a '70 911 T

Paying member No. 895 since 2006

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."
    Rob Dickinson's response when asked what motivated him to build Singers

As with most succesful, popular and well-attended C&Cs, the variety of cars here is broad indeed, frequently reminding me of my stupidity, impatience and short-sightedness at having owned many of the cars on display which I would dearly love to own NOW, but couldn't sell fast enough back then whenever something I foolishly perceived as "better" came along.

" slavish adherence to originality wasn't for me, because the car wasn't as good as it could be."

As usual, I believe certain cars are of sufficient interest to every car-lover that they deserve their own whole set of the 5 shots allowed per post - this 2013 ArielAtom-III would certainly qualify. Built in limited quantities by hand, powered by a mildly modified 4-cyl.Honda 2-liter motor with variable cam-timing and a wonderfully aggressive sounding exhaust note, it really offers an enjoyable and deeply satisfying alternative to "conventional" weekend hobby / collector cars. Performance is staggering, reliebility is one of its stongets selling points, there's no better word to describe the handling than 'other-worldly' by virtue of its F-1 style pushrod suspension and ultralight forged wheels with huge discs and very sticky tires, and it's the perfect vehicle for the 'work-on-your-own-car' type……….what's not to love. This specimen, owned by a delightful young Brit who uses it as his daily driver for most of the year, is equipped with virtually invisible thin, clear lexan panels on the outside of the side main frame rails to limit splashing from the front-whhels. I've been promised a ride / drive in the future……can't wait.

As is the case at so many such get-togethers, Cobras always constitute a significant presence. The range of bodies, kits, materials, motors, workmanship, innovation, details, etc. is quite remarkable, but as always, quality, attention, restraint and experience in the selction of components, and aesthetics are very obvious and easy to spot.
    Last edited by John Z Goriup; 12-23-2014 at 07:47 PM.

Another set of the variety of cars that came out to play, including the ubiquitous, inevitable Lamboghini……..with the white, late-model Countach model festooned with all its plastic "aero" trinkets ranking right up there in the 'most vulgar car ever made' sweepstakes.

…a couple more miscellaneous items, and then the few Porsches that showed up, starting out with Bob "Skidmarks" Marx's white hot-rod.

The final set, with all five shots showing a pretty nicely done '68 911.

Thanks for looking,

JZG

The Mighty 'Cammer' . . .

Any idea what it is we're looking at, here, John? . . . .

. . . 'cause The Owner of this particular car needs some talking with . . .

. . . and I mean serious talking with

The distributor in the front of the intake manifold = Ford. Big Block. No Big Deal, right?

Now --- check-out the spark plug wires. Notice how the leads do NOT go down/outta site/into the heads --- like on most Fords

Instead? ---------------------- they go into the valve covers!

=

Single

Over

Head

Cam

More, here . . .
    http://www.macsmotorcitygarage.com/2...d-427-sohc-v8/

In my life, I've seen this motor in the metal exactly once. And, so --- here it is again . . . . like catching Sasquatch riding a unicorn

Thanks for sharing that, John!

Holy moly!

We Can Be Heroes

Just stopped by to get the link to Rennsport and saw your thread. Nice work.
    Here are a few capture from the day as well. Sorry, only black and white that day. I'll resize if too big after I post

’58 Olds

Impala SS

Triumph Truxton and Aston Martin DBM III

’57 Bel Air

427 Shelby

’41 Willys Coupe

30’s Ford Model A pickup

’49 Ford Tudor
    68 912 - R inspired - 2.0L-4 turbo 18psi
    RGruppe #455
    S Reg #1539

just found this departures video on youtube...