Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 1971 911 S east african safari race car discovered in Germany

Nice work Hugh!

First of all...I will place my 40+ years working on Racing Porsche's, that the car which starts this Thread from 911r67 is originally green from what you see in the photo behind the gauges.....nobody would fake that color to make a point! Its one of the green 911 s Rally cars. I'm sure the card-X will prove the color at building time.

I said there were 4 cars because I have photos...I'm not saying there were only 4... there could have been 6 cars all I know!

You are probably right Hugh, about what you have researched! Keep up the good research and always know things change on a daily basis!

I could only hope 911r67 hooks up with you about any info you might have.

The beat goes on,

KJ

This car was definately shipped to Keni for Safari Rally.... also have the shipping papers for the other cars who went there with chassis number.....Name:  100_1385.jpg
Views: 994
Size:  37.9 KB
    one practice car was wrecked.....Name:  911 130 0589 Safari Trainig 71-3.jpg
Views: 980
Size:  33.5 KB this had no handles......our one had.......
    Porsche 911 S 1971 Kremer race car

I wonder if they started putting handles on them after that practice car stood itself up on its side! Great picture
    1969 S Coupe #761
    Early S Registry #1624

The public help handles were added after the first series of practices.

Note: The safari on its side also has no nerf bars (cow catchers). The photos I have of the event....all 911S Rally "Safari" cars had them. This might mean the photo dates itself prior to the Event in 71'.

Keep Diggin,

KJ

PS Hey 911r67, can you show some photos of the cockpit floors?

Kevin says he has photos of 4 cars
    these are the 5 i think that were there starting with the 3 cars definitely in the event as werks entries. All 3 are in this photo: Waldegaard car #33 S-AA 4825 on the left, the Zasada car #19 S-AA 4827 in the center and the Andersson car #1 S-AA 4826 on the right.
    Name:  1971.jpg
Views: 897
Size:  51.8 KB

then there is the green practice car that Heinz posted a photo of S-AA 3128. Here are a couple of other shots one showing the registration and one with the "practice car" decal on it. I believe that the car beside it is the other (white) practice car S-AA 3129.
    Name:  Safari Trainig 71-1.jpg
Views: 940
Size:  76.3 KBName:  Porsche04.jpg
Views: 887
Size:  98.0 KB

the other training car i only have partial views of (like the one above) but i do have 2 clear shots of the number plate S-AA 3129
    Name:  1971 s aa 3129.jpg
Views: 880
Size:  47.8 KBName:  S aa 3129.jpg
Views: 893
Size:  54.3 KB

the first one is definitely in the same place as the other shots of the werks entries and you can see a couple behind it and the last one looks like it is being unloaded from a plane

the next questions is what numbers to attach to each car?
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005
    Australian TYP901 Register Inc.

Early S Registry #776

here are a couple of other gratuitous photos of what i believe are the practice cars - just because most of the photos around of this event are of the actual cars used.
    Name:  New Picture (2).png
Views: 894
Size:  1.02 MBName:  New Picture (1).png
Views: 876
Size:  276.5 KBName:  safari 1971 s aa 3128.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  45.5 KB

the first shows the green practice car and you can just make out the practice car decal on the windscreen if you know where it is from the picture in the past above.

The second is captioned Waldegaard at the event but it is obviously the green practice car and also clearly shows no handles or other reinforcing of the bumpers (unlike what the white practice car shows in one of the photos above.) It also does not appear to have a windscreen "banner" unlike other photos of the car suggesting that this was very early (although the picture of 3129 in the plane has one as did the car in the factory press photo) or it was after it was rolled and a replacement windscreen had been fitted.
    the third is also of the green practice car which in this picture looks almost like a stock car. All of these photos suggest that this car may not have been as highly modified as the actual cars entered or maybe as the white practice car.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Now to the numbers (and with all of the following I would stress that this is an attempt to put a jigsaw together without knowing if you have all the pieces and indeed without knowing if the pieces you have all belong to the same puzzle). I am working from information that seems to have errors in it combined with my assumptions and various documents that I have access to but dont know for sure what their entire context is / was.

I have put the case above that the 5 cars were #0589, #0612, #0637, #0647, and #0683. Of these 3 are the cars in the event and 2 are practice cars. Also 2 are white cars and three were green cars.

I am as certain as you can be that the white Zasada car is #0683. That leaves 2 practice and 2 team cars.

It is also a reasonable assumption that the practice cars went to Africa earlier than the team cars.

I have various documents that I will post below that firstly show:
    • 2 Porsche cars (no numbers disclosed) having a fifty five thousand shilling bond paid on March 2 1971 "for the re-exportation of goods imported without the payment of Duty". I believe that this document shows that the two practice cars landed in Nairobi on that day.
    • an invoice / delivery docket dated 18 march 1971 for one Porsche to be delivered to Nairobi. A chassis number 911 130 0589 is on that document
    • a second invoice / delivery docket dated 26 March 1971 for two Porsche cars to be delivered to Nairobi. These are chassis numbers 911 130 0637 and 911 130 0683.
    • a photo of two cars coming off (?) an Alitalia plane, one green and one white, with one registration just about visible as S AA 4826 but that number and a part of the other cars registration handwritten on the photo. The other number could only have been S AA 4827 as it can only have been the white Zasada car.

To me, at least, this means that the three werks entries were 0589 (the car just revealed in Germany) which can only have been the Waldergaard #33 car, 0683 the white Zasada car and 0637 the green Andersson car #1.

in turn this would suggest that the practice cars were 0647 (currently thought to be the #33 car) and 0612. None of this helps determine which was the green one and which was the white one but it certainly is different to the recently perceived "truth" about these cars.

These are the documents referred to:
    firstly the import bond paperwork

Name:  DSC_0495.jpg
Views: 881
Size:  64.5 KB

next the single car shipment
    Name:  100_1385.jpg
Views: 856
Size:  74.2 KB

the documents for the two cars being shipped

Name:  100_1387.jpg
Views: 876
Size:  74.9 KB

and the photo of the two cars with the transporting airplane
    Name:  s aa 4826.jpg
Views: 865
Size:  51.3 KB

Finally there is this Document

Name:  100_1390.jpg
Views: 872
Size:  126.5 KB
    my German is not that great but it appears to talk about the three cars going in the two shipments with the dates mentioned above and then detail of transportation etc for the drivers and navigators. To me it supports the view that the three cars mentioned on the invoices were the three cars in the event and the other chassis numbers belong to the practice cars.

the next thing to try to sort out (assuming this is all correct) is which was the green practice car and which was the white one.
    Last edited by HughH; 12-16-2014 at 02:08 AM.
    Hugh Hodges
    73 911E
    Melbourne Australia

Foundation Member #005

Early S Registry #776

Hi Gumby.... here are the pictures of the passenger compartment..... as you see the chassis is strengthened by the reinforcement plates of the Targa cars .... totally uncommon to a coupe ;-)
    Name:  DSCF0222.jpg
Views: 792
Size:  101.6 KB

and as you see the button for the signal horns is also on passengers foot area.......

drivers side with dead pedalName:  DSCF0208.jpg
Views: 783
Size:  137.6 KB

Thanks for sharing! Great to see these pre-restoration details