Thread: Show me steering wheel alternatives for wood dash SWB

Show me steering wheel alternatives for wood dash SWB

A prior owner did some things to my car that must have seemed like a good idea - cut the dash for radio, added an amp meter, and sold the wood steering wheel. To remedy the situation, I'd like to start with the wheel. But I'm having a hard time justifying the price of a wood wheel. And I'm also struggling as to other options. Please share some photos of wood dash cars with other than wood wheels for inspiration.

Name:  interior help.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  125.8 KB

no picture, but if it makes you feel better, the wood wheels are pretty uncomfortable, painful even on a longer drive. A thicker leather wrapped wheel, on the other hand, feels much better. Looks good too, not as good, but better than stock.

I really like the look of a stock leather wrapped 380 wheel with a butterfly on an early car as an alternative.
    +1 one on a car with a wood wheel on a long drive. I found myself always repositioning my hands. They are tiring.
    But at the same time it's hard to beat the look of the wood wheel along with the wood dash. It just looks all tied in.
    If you reconsider give Bruce a shout at Hardwood Classics. He may be able to help you locate a wood wheel and fix your wood dash.

Obviously not a Wood Dash, but I still like the look of the wood wheel with Elephant Hide.

I prefer the feel of the wood wheel on a long drive - with driving gloves.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by L.a.Brooks; 12-15-2014 at 08:01 AM.

Thanks, guys. Looks nice, Brooks. I envy that wheel. Maybe I should just buy a repo... Car isn't matching # anyway (a 912 "six").

Quote Originally Posted by eaton View Post
    A prior owner did some things to my car that must have seemed like a good idea - cut the dash for radio, added an amp meter, and sold the wood steering wheel. To remedy the situation, I'd like to start with the wheel. But I'm having a hard time justifying the price of a wood wheel. And I'm also struggling as to other options. Please share some photos of wood dash cars with other than wood wheels for inspiration.

Name:  interior help.jpg
Views: 377
Size:  125.8 KB
    go with the wood wheel or stick with the one you have. in my opinion, the diameter of the wheel and its texture match the nature of the car perfectly unless you are running with flared fenders and much larger than stock wheels with sticky tires.
    On the dash, you might look for an outside temperature guage to match your green dials. That would be very cool and would save you from needing to redo the dash.
    I think the money you spend on a wood wheel and maybe an outside temp guage would be something you could recoup when you sell the car - just remove those parts prior to the sale or adjust your sales price accordingly. My guess is that the run up is SWB values means you can go wrong!.
    ds

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 68912 View Post
    no picture, but if it makes you feel better, the wood wheels are pretty uncomfortable, painful even on a longer drive. A thicker leather wrapped wheel, on the other hand, feels much better. Looks good too, not as good, but better than stock.
    I got some good driving gloves--they help.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

this should make you feel a LOT better, the wood wheels are pretty uncomfortable, painful even - not only when the splinters enter your chest and face in a crash, but also when the surgeon digs them out...

Personal experience on that one, 37yrold?

Sorry folks, there's nothing better than holding a '65 wood wheel, a minute, an hour or a day.....sayin' otherwise is like the pub talk about 911 lift off throttle handling by someone you subsequently find out has never driven one in anger.....

They are lovely wheels and even lovelier to steer with. It's part of the early-early 911 charm.

Having said this, I protect my alloy original by substituting in a Nardi Anni 50 with a Porsche horn push by these guys.

http://www.classicowheels.com/

Cheers

S
    '65 901 SA '119' - 1st RHD Customer Delivered 911 Worldwide; 5710 Stone Grey/Green Leatherette 3 owners from new.

'75 (Nov) 924 Group 4 Rallye. 9th o/all, 1st in class ‘79 Repco Round Australia Rally Barth/Kussmaul; 1st RHD chassis, 1st front engined Porsche to win an FIA event

‘78 928 Manual - early RHD Opalmetallic (gold) + Pasha

'98 986

‘99 996 GT3 CS M003 ex Peter Fitzgerald. Falken livery. 2nd 2000, 3rd in 2001 Aus Nations Cup Championsip. Last of the road registered racers