Thread: Help to chose correct paint for Oil tank

Help to chose correct paint for Oil tank

I`m about to start refurbish my 67 oil tank, and I´m in doubt about what kind of paint to use, as the tank properbly will be about 80-90 ° dg. hot

heat resistent paint, not so strong?
    Hammerite, good rust protection , but can it withstand the heat?
    Powdercoting , strong, but what about the heat?
    Autolack?

let me know what you use.

Thanks

Lars
    1967 911 Bahama Yellow
    1962 356 TB 6 Slate Grey
    1982 911 SC gone
    1965 911 gone
    1968 911L gone

A car sitting outside in any part of the southern U.S. will see the surface paint getting well over 100 deg during the summer so an estimated 80-90 on the oil tank is nothing. Sandblast/glassbead the old paint off, black epoxy primer then a 2 part, single stage satin black. The epoxy will provide a VERY strong base, in case the top coat takes a good rock hit, and the topcoat will give the correct sheen. All the factory did was a thin coat of black, that appears to be little more than rattle can. That's why it fails.
    1973 911 RSR clone..... to be

"And pretty soon you're grabbing gears like they are ten thousand dollar bills."

http://www.kahikocustoms.com/auto-projects

One point of clarity to add; Scotty's answer should still stand true.

Lars was talking 80-90 degrees C this would be 176-194 degrees F
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

About 30 years ago, I was having my airplane engine overhauled and wanted something better than the stock one-stage enamels that everybody used.

I wondered if "engine enable" and a different temperature spec from standard stuff. After examining the specs, the answer was "No."

It was then that I settled on two-stage polyurethane (Imron, PPG, Alumagrip, etc.) for painting stuff where I wanted the paint to last. The stuff has nasty side-effects, due to acrylocyanates, which have cumulative biological toxicity, but it keeps its gloss and is highly durable when used over epoxy primers (yet another toxic mess).

As far as temperature, it lasts on Lycoming cylinders.

Where does the satin come from ? Originally it was cheap glossy paint . Why not semigloss ?

I had my tank cleaned and tested at Pacific Oil Cooler, then powder coated in satin black. I'm very pleased with the results, but I haven't installed it in the car yet, so I can't provide any feedback on how well it holds up. I don't believe the heat will be a problem (it is cured in a 400 degree F oven), but I'm curious to see how well it resists stone chips.

Name:  IMG_3202.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  93.9 KB
    '73 RoW 911T (project)
    '77 911S
    Early911SReg #2945

member #1515
    I powder coated my suspension arms a few years ago and it has held up very well
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs