Thread: FS: 1981 Land Rover Series III 109

Paul Misencik

FS: 1981 Land Rover Series III 109

Hi all. I'm living in Spain now and have started exporting vintage vehicles back to the States. My partner, Bill Desrosiers, is in Falls Church, VA and we work as a team. The goal is to shed light on the often rather murky process of bringing vehicles back from overseas, and to bring transparency and clarity to the process. I find good, interesting vehicles here (from Land Rovers to Gelandewagens and from Lancia Fulvias to Citroen 2CV's), Bill and I ship them to Baltimore, and they are sold through a licensed Virginia dealership - Japanese Classics LLC in Richmond, VA.

You can read a little about the process, as well as detailed stories about where we find each vehicle, at www.valenciaclassicvehicles.com.

This truck is a 1981 Land Rover Santana 109 four-door. A Series III. I bought it here in October and drove it most of the way across Spain, entirely without issue. It was shipped to the USA in November, imported legally, and was delivered to Richmond last week.

DETAILS:
    - Desert tan over black vinyl
    - 2 1/4 liter four-cylinder diesel
    - 4-speed manual transmission with auto-locking hubs
    - 10 seats (commonly called a "nine-seater" by Land Rover)
    - Full-size roof rack
    - Clear CBP, DOT and EPA paperwork comes with the truck
    - Asking $16,000/obo
    - Vehicle located in Richmond, VA

BODY:
    There are three small spots of rust on the vehicle. One is near the "step" on the rear bumper, the other is on the left rear frame rail, and the third is along the frame rail near the right rear wheel. None of them are structurally significant, and the truck is extremely solid. The rest of the bodywork and chassis are in good shape after nearly three decades of use on a Spanish olive farm in Andalucia. There is a small ding in the right front quarter panel. The tires are great, including the spare, it has a trailer hitch and the full-length roof rack.

INTERIOR:
    The interior is straight and in good shape. All the upholstery is good except for a split on the front passenger seat. The heater works perfectly, all the electrics and gauges work correctly, etc.

DRIVETRAIN:
    It starts easily (even in 20 degree weather) and runs extremely well. This 109 has the taller gearing, which allows a realistic top speed in excess of 100 kph (as opposed the 80 kph which is more common in Series II and III Land Rovers.) The rear driveshaft has been recently replaced, as well as the leather suspension limiting straps. There are no significant leaks, except for a very small one from the rear differential, which is common on Series Land Rovers.

All in all it is a very, very good truck. Solid, rugged, and strong, and ready to drive anywhere. I am probably forgetting something, so please feel free to reach out and ask me anything.

I also have LOTS more photographs, and would be happy to take any more than anyone might want to see. You can also reach me directly through "WhatsApp" at the number below.

Thanks!
    Paul Misencik
    +34 (639) 57 74 03
    Attached Images Attached Images

Now that looks like fun.

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Not in EU anymore. Sad.

For sure Fun with a trailer and a Formula V on it :-)
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Hopefully, it's not one of these....
    http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...mini-cooper-0/

its so wonderful you have found this forum to advertise
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

early Land Rovers and 911s often seem to attract the same enthusiast … lots of similarities !

Both still in production (just … in the case of the Landy) after more than 50 years (from 1948 in the case of Land Rover).
    Both supported by active and fanatical lovers of the brand

A major difference though, in Land Rover's favour, are the parts prices ….. (!)
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)