Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: '67S non-radio factory configuration?

'67S non-radio factory configuration?

The COA for my '67S has NO radio listed and the car was delivered to Sonauto in France.
    The car had a radio and antenna added but the cut-out is a very poor hack job and the antenna hole is in the right fender, and the dash top is perforated.

Did the factory provide a standard "cut-out" for a radio in the metal and the dash trim on all cars?
    If so, would they use delete plate or would the waffle trim strip just not have a cut-out to cover it, and run continuous from ash tray to glove box?

Also - would the car have come with no speaker and no perforations in the top vinyl? (I've seen a one piece dash with no perf holes)
    And, would there have been a hole for the antenna on one of the fenders?

Thanks, Steve

I can't speak for all possibilities, but I was involved with a 68 L that was radio delete, but still came with a factory installed antenna in the left fender, which was the side used for manual antennas. Only automatic antennas were installed in the right fender as there was more space there due to no fuel filler in the way. The dash was perforated, and had a block off plate installed.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

I believe all cars had radio holes (rectangular and 2 round) stamped into the original dash metal. Any "very poor hack job" was probably the result of an aftermarket radio, most of which were slightly larger. I've not yet seen a non-perforated dash top.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

I have a '67 912 that was also delivered to Sonauto, there's also no radio listed on the CoA.
    It has a Hirschmann antenna in the right fender and Autovox radio, looks quite period.
    Someone told me this was often done to avoid taxes and stuff, sadly I don't know any details.

I think the dash wasn't pre cut when no radio was ordered, but the top was always perforated AFAIK.

Just for the record, here's an untouched one piece 1967 dash with no perforations I recently acquired.
    Maybe this is quite unusual?
    Attached Images Attached Images   

[QUOTE=inconnu;77880]
    I think the dash wasn't pre cut when no radio was ordered, but the top was always perforated AFAIK.[/QUOTE

Not sure, but think it may have been. It was covered with the wood/aluminum/basket weave if no radio installed. The very early painted dash (912) got a "Porsche" cover plate. There is no listing for a dash panel (the structural part) without radio holes in the factory parts manuals.
    Neither is there a listing for a 'radio-delete' dash top w/out perforations.

Very nice piece, although perhaps re-covered…
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Quote Originally Posted by Silverbullit View Post
    Not sure, but think it may have been. It was covered with the wood/aluminum/basket weave if no radio installed. The very early painted dash (912) got a "Porsche" cover plate. There is no listing for a dash panel (the structural part) without radio holes in the factory parts manuals.
    Neither is there a listing for a 'radio-delete' dash top w/out perforations.

Very nice piece, although perhaps re-covered…
    I think you're right, I was thinking about the trim not being pre-cut, the part underneath surely had the holes all the time.

On my 67S roller/long term project, the dash top has no perforations. I have been curious about this and had planned to ask. Probably most likely re-covered, but the vinyl looks "right" so must have been done many years ago. This car was ordered with zero options except tinted windows.

Name:  Non perforated dash top.JPG
Views: 383
Size:  255.1 KB
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

My very early 68S (7/67) came with zero options as well. No radio, no antenna. It has a perforated dash, but no plate for radio.

I also have the 68 sales brochure, which shows a car inside without radio, and no panel. I tried to see if my car was actually used for any brochure photo shoots as it was a demonstrator, but can't establish that.

Interestingly, the same brochure shows a 912 WITH a panel.

Scott
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  264.7 KB
    1968 911S
    1986 Carrera
    2006 Carrera S

1973 BMW 3.0CS - Frances (gone but not forgotten)

In Peter Morgan´s book "Original Porsche" there is a pic of a RHD 68S with no radio (or delete plate), but with a perforated dash top. Will take a pic when I get home to my books.
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery