Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which red horns?

Which red horns?

I've always gotten the answer I sought on this helpful site so here goes. On my Jan.'72 car I have these red Bosch air horns. I have no idea if they're original or not. Can anybody tell me what the applications were for these horns and if they might have been original on the car? Third pic is of the air compressor for the horns (I think anyway). The last pic is of a pair of red trumpet horns that I have. The trumpets came off a '73 that I dismantled back in '93. What is the correct horn for a Jan. of '72 car? I don't know if I need banjos or trumpets or if these air horns might have been original. I don't really want to buy another set of horns. Other threads I've read have failed to definitively determine what I need. Please help. Thanks in advance

If anybody knows which horns sound better or how they sound different please chime in too.Name:  20141222_154039.jpg
Views: 546
Size:  60.0 KBName:  20141222_154107.jpg
Views: 560
Size:  43.5 KBName:  20141222_172944.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  52.1 KBName:  20141222_173033.jpg
Views: 562
Size:  48.7 KB

Air Horns are aftermarket. Bottom trumpets are for 1973. '72 should be red banjo.
    Name:  horn2.JPG
Views: 566
Size:  111.7 KB
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

That's kind of what I'm afraid of. I also have a pair of all black horns off an SC or Carrera. So apparently I have virtually every kind of horn except for the one I need.

Not so fast! I have a 72 T with a red horn & a black `snail` horn........original?. It came to me that way in 1992
    To err is human; to blame it on someone else is more human...

"You must always strive to be the best, but you must never believe that you are."
    —Juan Manuel Fangio[48]

”What would PORSCHE do”

67 911 de Luxe, 356 B silver metallic / brown interior, ( buck skin really ) 67 PORSCHE [ built ] 912, Crystal blue, black interior, 72 T, Silver metallic/black interior, appearance group,factory AC.

Those red trumpets you have are very valuable. You can sell those and more than cover the cost of the banjos.
    Jeff Jensen

Quote Originally Posted by ESully View Post
    Air Horns are aftermarket. Bottom trumpets are for 1973. '72 should be red banjo.
    Name:  horn2.JPG
Views: 566
Size:  111.7 KB
    Ed, are you saying that the two red horns you have shown a picture of are what are in your 73.5? I have to check out what I have on my 73.5. It's been a while since I've looked. But I don't think that is what I have. I am not the original owner. I bought it in '88 with 40k miles on it. But, if my horns are not original, they would be the ONLY thing on the car that has turned out not to be factory original, down to the paint and interior. Looking forward to getting home and checking it out.

Jay, the ones I posted are '72 Banjo. My '73.5 came with this style Trumpet.
    Name:  HornRed01.jpg
Views: 483
Size:  100.0 KB
    E Sully
    1973.5 911T

Ah. Phew. That's what I recall of mine. I will say that of all my cars, the 73.5 horns have the best sound - great authority, but beautiful, high quality, sports car sound.

Where can I find a pair of red horns for a my73?

OK, first thing... Search is your friend. There are plenty of horn threads already on the forum. No sense in reinventing the Fuchs.
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...=Horn+location

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ighlight=horns

I've gone with the wisdom that MY '73 cars produced BEFORE Jan '73 (i.e. in '72) came with the "banjo" horns. '73 MY cars produced in '73 came with "trumpet" horns.

NOW to cut to the chase, your air horns are not right in any 1973 scenario. You'd probably do best to pick up a set of red "trumpets". The good thing is that they were produced for some time after the "banjo" horns and availability is much better.

Kent
    Last edited by kentf14; 12-24-2014 at 07:52 PM. Reason: Added second link
    E911SR & RGRUPPE
    '65 911 "The Ol' Gal" (long gone)
    '73 S Coupe #306