Thread: Educate me please... 3 gauge vs. 5 gauge

Educate me please... 3 gauge vs. 5 gauge

Hi guys, I haven't been around too long an so everyday I'm learning something new. I'm about to pick up a SWB 912 this weekend and it's a 3 gauge dash. I've always been under the impression that 3 gauge dashes were '65s and early '66s. I'm now seeing that's not the case. I've seen what appears to be 3 and 5 gauge dashes intermingled in '65 as '66. My question therefore is...

Why were some dashes three gauge and some five gauge? Was the 5 gauge a factory option? Is one more desirable than the other? Were 3 gauge dashes only in 912s? Or were their 911s equipped this way as well.

Thanks in Advance! I love the knowledge passed around here.
    Porsche taste on a Volkswagen budget...

5 gauge was an option on 912's starting in '65 (becoming standard in '67), just like S gauges were options on 911T's. More here:

http://www.912registry.org/faqs/years.htm

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Here's the relevant page from the '66 Accessories catalog:

9169.jpg

Option 9170 cost DM 160, US$ 40.00.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

Thanks guys I knew it was an easy answer, but difficult to search because nobody ever puts "three" and "five" gauge but rather "3" and "5" and the search funtion doesn't like that.

Quote Originally Posted by NeunElf View Post
    Here's the relevant page from the '66 Accessories catalog:

9169.jpg

Option 9170 cost DM 160, US$ 40.00.
    It is still a "3" gauge car. It just has an optional clock and outside temp gauge added. Not technically a "5" gauge car.
    If it were a 5 gauge car it would have the fuel gauge and parking brake warning light in the far left hand gauge (same size as the clock)
    3 gauge cars had the temp gauge and fuel gauge in the same housing just to the left of the tach that was the largest gauge. The spedo was just to the right of the tach and was the same size as the temp/fuel gauge.
    I have no evidence that a true 5 gauge dash was ever option in a early 3 gauge 912.
    3 gauge 912s started out with a dash painted body color much like 356s. N3ext came 3 gauge dashes with black background around the gauges and brushed aluminum trim on the dash face. Finally came 5 gauge 912s (1966)

There is my nitpicking for today.

Regards

Jim