Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Fire Extinguisher Recommendation

Fire Extinguisher Recommendation

I know this has been discussed in the past but regs and product availability keep changing, especially these days. Halon is no longer available (or not permitted) and I understand that here in Canada the use of Halocarbon extinguishers is also not permitted. Is there any thing else available? I understand the dry chemical variety aren't especially good for cars as they are difficult to clean up. Just wondering what my options are. Thanks.
    Member #2666

Dry chem extinguishers are HIGHLY corrosive! A friend had an engine fire (on the ground) in his airplane, on which dry chem was used. It corroded EVERY piece of metal (except stainless steel) to which it was exposed, even though he used compressed air, that day, to remove the deposits.

It will do the same thing to a Porsche.

Quote Originally Posted by Orval_F View Post
    Dry chem extinguishers are HIGHLY corrosive! A friend had an engine fire (on the ground) in his airplane, on which dry chem was used. It corroded EVERY piece of metal (except stainless steel) to which it was exposed, even though he used compressed air, that day, to remove the deposits. It will do the same thing to a Porsche.
    Yes, but dry chem will put out the fire, something that Halon or other gas filled extinguishers may not do if the fire is in open air and outside a confined space. It seem preferable to have something left to clean up than to lose everything to fire.

Quote Originally Posted by Irish911 View Post
    I understand the dry chemical variety aren't especially good for cars as they are difficult to clean up. Just wondering what my options are. Thanks.
    Have you ever cleaned up after a fire? You will wish you only had to clean up the chemicals.....
    Seldom do you have a fire that doesn't need further attention to something.
    I have seen a Zenith fire put out with roadside sand and gravel and the owner was very happy to have saved his car.
    It did need a complete dis-assembly and new carbs but he was very happy to save the Porsche.

I have personally put out several engine fires with both chemical and foam. Clean up was the last thing on my mind... Also put out some Mag fires with sand (D).
    I have never used Halon but I have them on hand for electrical stuff. I agree, that they probably won't work very well in wind or outside applications.
    I have ABC's for the shop and BC's for the cars. Keep in mind a BC extinguisher won't work very well on paper/cardboard material (interiors)...
    H

What about a CO2 extinguisher? These are good for Class B and C fires and apparently leave no residue. Maybe the size one needs make it prohibitive?
    Member #2666

Most guys carry a 2.5lb extinguisher in their car. Halon and dry Chen (ABC) are readily available in that size but I'm not sure that CO2 is. When I sold fire extinguishers, the smallest CO2 that I sold was a 5lb. As someone who sold extinguishers, serviced them, and provided Fire training, a halon is in my car.
    Porsche taste on a Volkswagen budget...

And for what it's worth, whenever I sold extinguishers to airports and private airline companies, they always bought 2.5lb halons. If it's good enough for a 20 million dollar Leer it's good enough for me.

Thanks jos. Unfortunately halons are no longer available, certainly not here north of the 49. The only options I see are dry chem, foam and CO2, unless I missed something. I understand the CO2 extinguishers are very high pressure units. Good for quickly chilling your beer if nothing else.
    Member #2666

That they are Halons are ozone depleting by nature so I wouldn't be surprised if you can't get em. I've been out of that business for 3 or 4 years now so I'm sure things have changed.

As I was typing this I looked up a racing suppression system I was familiar with to see if they were still around (they were solely halon) and now they use FE-36 which is a DuPont developed halon replacement. Check these systems out...

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/ad...ID=FIRESYSTEMS

Here's an article I wrote about fire systems last year.

Richard Newton