Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wiper L to R park flip

Wiper L to R park flip

Hi,
    I put my car in for some work a couple of months ago. The engineer told me that my wipers should be aligned to park to the right as you look at the car from the front, rather than the left. This was a detail that i overlooked when i bought the car a few years ago, and presumably was put back incorrectly when the car was rebuilt after its respray. Switching them back to how they should be is one of those winter projects i have lined up and refurbing the arms at the same time as the arms are a bit tatty.
    Has anyone done this before? Any tips on both the switch and the wiper arm refurb (correct paint etc) The car is an ROW spec 70T, originally supplied in Germany (now in Switzerland)

Here's a photo of the offending arms
    Attachment 318217

Regards
    Paul
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Chuck Miller; 01-04-2015 at 07:14 AM.

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Please experts, correct me if am wrong, but the wipers should be opposite for a LHD (based on the picture). The reason "the wipers should be parked on the driver side" is the wiping surface would be wider. Yours would be correct for a RHD.
    Last edited by Xavier PJB; 01-04-2015 at 05:29 AM. Reason: italic complement for clarity
    O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Bonne annee Xavier,

I checked many photos on the 'show me your original car' and 'satanic details' threads. Looks like most (not all) of the LHD cars have the park on the drivers side, so i am assuming the mechanic is correct.

Starting in 68 the wipers were always arranged to park in front of the driver, no matter which side he was on. I believe this was done to prevent water being blown up the windshield from the airstream. I have cars with both styles, and that is what happens when the wipers are parked opposite the driver.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Xavier Petit-Jean-Boret Xavier PJB's Avatar
    Maybe I misundertood your comment associated with the pictures, but this excatly what I meant. "The reason is the wiping surface would be wider as this is the driver side for a LHD", so the wipers should be parked on the driver side.

O-G 26 - Early911S 2407

Ok. Thanks.....

Any tips for switching them over?

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    Starting in 68 the wipers were always arranged to park in front of the driver, no matter which side he was on. I believe this was done to prevent water being blown up the windshield from the airstream. I have cars with both styles, and that is what happens when the wipers are parked opposite the driver.
    Yes, and if I remember correctly, the DOT types here in the USA wanted the first movement of the wipers to clear the windshield in front of the driver rather than moving water from the passenger's side. It seem like a small thing in terms of time, but I guess that is what we pay our government regulators to worry about.

neither effect is really a small thing (esp. on a rallye course!) and Porsche has always sweated the details

there are threads here on putting them back but I don't know the URLs - try a search on wiper + parking

- Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic

Thanks all,

I didn't realise that this would be also covered in the 101 projects book.... I will check it before I ask a stupid question next time!

Regards
    Paul