Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Just Denied by Leland! Ugh

Just Denied by Leland! Ugh

So I've been struggling with moving to classic car insurance on my 1973.5 911T. The primary reason is that I have had it for 26 years, and driven it all sorts of places, and I still like driving it, like to work every once and a while and on weekends to run an errand at the local hardware store. Rest assured I park in isolated spots, and it's not like I'm in there for hours. I know they don't cover that - so I've kept my USAA insurance to be arguably *under* insured rather than uninsured (which I would be under classic insurance). I've also tended to ignore the rising value of the car - mine's a CIS T for goodness sakes - the one no one gives any credit to. But, my car is still original paint and interior, and top level maintained. So, I finally came to the realization that I have to stop using it for these other uses and I called Leland.

The reason they denied me? Because my daily driver is a 1967 912. This car has been remarkable and has been rock solid reliable for 4 years of 70 miles a day driving. But they have a bright line rule that I have to have a 20 year old or newer car as my daily driver.

Yes, I have a 2000 Boxster S and a 2003 Honda S2000. But those are now used by my daughter and son. I can't claim them as my daily driver.

I called Hagertys. They have the same rule. But while Leland wouldn't even bend, Hagertys at least said they will consider the application.

I kind of see their point. They think that the 20+ year old car is liable to break down and I'll be forced to use the classic car. But geeze. So much for being the consummate classic car buff who lives and breaths them and drives one daily as well.

Oh, and by the way, I have called Hagerty in the past when I was thinking of changing over. They apparently documented every conversation and the guy on the phone definitely expressed some concern that I had said in the past I might use it for non-covered uses. I assured him that I am now making the decision to stop using it like that. He still seemed a little nervous.

Thumbs up

Jay,

Try Chubb Collector Car Insurance:
    http://www.chubbcollectorcar.com/

I switched a couple of years ago........

I think you'll like'm....
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

Just went to their site and got an instant quote, it was more then double what i am now paying, shame.
    1970 911S
    1963 Abarth Monomille
    1974 2002 Turbo

Thanks! Just called them. Same thing! Not the bright line that Leland had. But, they had an issue that I might let my 18 year old son drive the car EVER, even with me in the car driving to a car show. They also said that they think that someone who will drive a car to a hardware store - even if they park in the remotest, protected spot "is not a true enthusiast." Her words. I guess I'm a wanna be, pretender.

Tell that to all my cars that I maintain and have bled on!

Porsche 1973.5 911T (26 years and counting)
    x - Porsche 1963 356B (5 wonderful years)
    Porsche 1967 912 (5 wonderful years, and counting, with no end in sight)
    Porsche 2000 Boxster S (currently used by daughter)
    Sunbeam 1965 Tiger
    Sunbeam 1967 Alpine (36 years and counting - first car)
    x - 1969 Karmann Ghia (yeah, not so much)
    1971 VW Bug (Sebring kit car built with dad, still a personal treasure, with V6 engine)
    Honda S2000 (technically my son's)

Not a true enthusiast - bah!

I used Leland for ~10 years for my 911
    Had to jump through all the hoops---pics of garage, photos of other cars in the house & their insurance, mileage limits, no track use, etc
    Then they denied me because I have an old Ford (1931 Model A), non running w/o insurance.

Moved to Allstate (where I had my other cars) and found they were CHEAPER for identical coverage + none of the BS above.

Bill

... funny, the non-enthusiast in me has been thinking about getting a Model T one of these days. I guess I should definitely forget about that!

Jay,I have used Grundy for a while now without a problem.Grundy.com or 888 647-8639

David

Grundy: They had and issue to that my daily driver is older, though not a bright line. I asked if they cover a stop at a hardware store - like on the way back from a "pleasure drive". They did say that they do NOT cover going into parking lots. They consider that high risk. Ugh.

I'll have to vouch for Grundy as well. I like their service.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Miller View Post
    Jay,

Try Chubb Collector Car Insurance
    Chubb is the best, but also expensive.

Try Safeco, great price and service.
    Randy Wells
    Automotive Writer/Photographer/Filmmaker
    www.randywells.com/blog
    www.hotrodfilms.com

Early S Registry #187