Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Educate me please

Educate me please

Why are so many people anal about the dates stamped on Fuchs matching when purchasing? Do people really crawl underneath to check matching dates at concours or deem their car more valuable when the dates match on all four wheels. This seems rather extreme to me. Kind of like stamping underneath and behind a dash. Just curious since the wheels, especially 15x6, are so common with no differences. I understand that hearts have a unique difference but? Maybe a radical purist can enlighten me.

Because we take great pleasure in doing so.
    And if we don't have it that way we fall into deep depression.

It's a trait that goes with the Porsche hobby.

Does that help?

There are some things I would be very particular about, but exactly matching car to month and year for all wheels ... is probably not one of them. Correct year wheels, 'hearts', good condition before matching numbers for me. "Anal" is on the path to OCD. Which may not be a bad thing!
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S

# 2991
    I had a '73.5 targa that had three different dates between the five wheels. I assumed the wheels to be original, but I don't know for sure. Trying to match the dates of all five seemed pointless to me. The wheels were dated 1/73, 2/73 & 3/73, at least none of them were newer than the vehicle production date (3/73)

Quote Originally Posted by Ralfy View Post
    Because we take great pleasure in doing so.
    And if we don't have it that way we fall into deep depression.

It's a trait that goes with the Porsche hobby.

Does that help?
    No need to get testy Ralfy. I know how the hobby goes.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Harriman View Post
    No need to get testy Ralfy. I know how the hobby goes.

Bob, I don't think our frozen friend was trying to be rude; just a misinterpreted attempt at humor. Unfortunately he hasn't been here long enough to establish where he falls in the sarcasm chart. Using sarcasm without pissing everyone off is an art.

Ralfy, Jim B will hopefully be conducting a workshop soon so you can learn the finer points.

Oh and the date matching wheel thing?
    Absolutely ridiculous.

Testy? No not testy at all. Rather using a bit of humor to describe the geeky details we obsess over our cars.

I should of put an emoticon at the end of my post. Sorry
    Last edited by Ralfy; 01-08-2015 at 10:54 AM.

You beat me to it Frank.

Workshop? Like a tech session? Count me in.

Although, I'm not going to try to compete with Jim B. I'm not even close to being a Jedi yet

My apologies. I must have been a little on the bland side this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    Bob, I don't think our frozen friend was trying to be rude; just a misinterpreted attempt at humor. Unfortunately he hasn't been here long enough to establish where he falls in the sarcasm chart. Using sarcasm without pissing everyone off is an art.

Ralfy, Jim B will hopefully be conducting a workshop soon so you can learn the finer points.
    Some forums I frequent use special formatting to denote sarcasm. Over at the bird, green text = sarcasm. Or at least, someone's attempt at sarcasm.
    - Arne
    Current - 2018 718 Cayman, Rhodium Silver, PDK

Sold - 1972 911T coupe, Silver Metallic; 1984 911 Carrera coupe, Chiffon white; 1973 914 2.0, Saturn Yellow; 1984 944, Silver Metallic