Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminum 550 Spyder build

I would love to see this almost as is at Pebble Beach. So much history in one car.
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

The build made some good progress this weekend at Wray's. For probably the first time in my lifetime the rear clamshell is complete again, no cut flares, etc. Getting the replacement outer fender pieces to fit the original inner fender pieces was difficult but Wray was able to massage it all together. A tap here, a tap there, and it all flows. Wray likes to say "Metal is clay".

---Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

ahhh..... the wizardry of it all .....

Projects take time, lots of time, 7 years into this one, it's taking shape. Had to do some re-working of the front, but it's coming together.

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!

This weekend's work doesn't look like much but it was a major milestone. The frame we are working with was pretty crudely chopped in the front, leaving us to use a 356C from clip for the front beam and suspension. But we had never actually worked it into place to get the wheelbase correct. Wray had a big job at his shop doing some architectural palm trees for a big night club in Boston. I still wanted to work on the car but it would be me doing most of the work, which was a nice change in pace. Normally Wray is going a lot of the shaping with me doing the grunt work but this time I was doing a lot of the work. After much cutting, adding, measuring, eye-balling, we were able to end the weekend was the front wheels matching the stance of the back wheels and the wheelbase being correct. A good weekend.

---Adam

Impressive! - It must be great to see it coming together now. Keep up the good work and thanks so much for sharing it here, I always look forward to see updates on this build.
    Member #3508
    1973 911 2.4T
    1976 911S -> 2.8RSR replica
    "if nothing goes right, go left!"

yes.. keep the pictures coming please

Finish the rough fab, shoot it with clear and let the history speak for itself!

My vote anyway. Very cool.
    Michael
    “Electricity is really just organized lightning”

-Dusty 70S Coupe
    -S Registry #586

Good to see the progress here, keep enjoying the build ����

Antoine

Three day weekend at Wray's, lots of measuring, cross measuring, calculating, double checking. Wheelbase is set 2100mm or 82.67 inches. It's not always a dramatic weekend, but the work continues.

---Adam