Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminum 550 Spyder build

Looking good, Adam!
    1966 911 Coupe - Slate Grey - 304598 - still in restoration!

Member #1616

Quote Originally Posted by KennethClay View Post
    Car is looking beautiful!

When you're done with that wire form, let me know!
    The wireframe is not for sale, but the fiberglass body we used to make it is. You can make flexible shape patterns off of it like we did, without making a wire frame. This body was taken off a real car, not a Beck. It's very accurate.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifi...php?id=2223635

---Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images
    • File Type: jpg 1.jpg (200.4 KB, 540 views)
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

That’s awesome Adam. Where’s the real hood in these photos? I didn’t realize you had so many real body parts.

Quote Originally Posted by rower View Post
    That’s awesome Adam. Where’s the real hood in these photos? I didn’t realize you had so many real body parts.
    I scored the hood recently, it came off of 550A-0114, here is a pic of the car racing in 1969, same livery!

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!

Hey Adam looks good. Your car looks like a 550 front end not a 550A, hard to tell from the photo (post 18), but does the hood from the A fit without mods? My favorite is still the da spoodster though.
    Last edited by steve shea; 09-09-2019 at 11:46 AM.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Quote Originally Posted by steve shea View Post
    Hey Adam looks good. Your car looks like a 550 front end not a 550A, hard to tell from the photo (post 18), but does the hood from the A fit without mods? My favorite is still the da spoodster though.
    Luckily, I hadn't finished the hood I was making yet so I can make these fenders and nose match the hood that I got. There is some leavity in making your own car, some freedom in the design.
    Yes, I miss Da Spoodster, I never even got to drive it and probably never will since it's in Australia now.

---Adam

hi Adam
    Any progress on the 550 during the long winter evenings ?!
    I really enjoy the thread
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)

Quote Originally Posted by pgxif View Post
    hi Adam
    Any progress on the 550 during the long winter evenings ?!
    I really enjoy the thread
    Yes, I was able to score an original hood (off 550A-0114), and an original tail (off 550-0058), so between all that and the doors and inner fenders the car will be over 50% original metal. Hoping to get going on the chassis in February, right now the car is just chillin'.

---Adam

a tail too - wow - fantastic
    (of course ---- you had built one --- but anyway !!!)

Out of interest:
    (i) did someone contact you, or did you sleuthly work on getting it for ages ?
    Same seller as the hood (maybe - as paint job of ivory/black seems similar) ?

(ii) did 550A-0114 and 550-0058 "die" - or get these parts replaced, as far as you know ?)

(iii) are you still basing it on the 914 rear clip ?

Great stuff - looking forward to more in due course !
    Last edited by pgxif; 01-06-2020 at 05:12 PM.
    Paul

1969 ex-South African RHD Tangerine 911T . 1970 ex-Southern Californian LHD Conda 911T 1955 Series 1 86" Land Rover (original Australian CKD … very slowly re-building) 1987 W124 230e
    (long term paid up member)

Quote Originally Posted by pgxif View Post
    a tail too - wow - fantastic
    (of course ---- you had built one --- but anyway !!!)

Out of interest:
    (i) did someone contact you, or did you sleuthly work on getting it for ages ?
    Same seller as the hood (maybe - as paint job of ivory/black seems similar) ?

(ii) did 550A-0114 and 550-0058 "die" - or get these parts replaced, as far as you know ?)

(iii) are you still basing it on the 914 rear clip ?

Great stuff - looking forward to more in due course !
    I cast the net far and wide, looking for original metal, and some seeds came back as trees. Of the three cars my parts came all are still around.

I'm re-thinking the 914 rear clip, I had so many issues with the 904 build getting everything low enough for the body work to clear that I'm not sure I want to re-invent the wheel again.

---Adam