Page 9 of 16 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Aluminum 550 Spyder build

great seeing these pictures
    sorry if i missed this
    but are you building, for instance, the wheel openings based on the shop drawings or are you making the "original" parts fit?

Quote Originally Posted by bob joyce View Post
    great seeing these pictures
    sorry if i missed this
    but are you building, for instance, the wheel openings based on the shop drawings or are you making the "original" parts fit?
    Much of the building is a combination of making the original pieces fit correctly, dimensions we took of two original cars, and pictures. The problem ultimately is none of the 550's are terribly consistent in their builds, and many that you see today have been re-bodied or repaired so it's hard to know what it supposed to look like. Luckily with pieces like the rear clip we have the clip and the wheel wells, which have a remanent of the original fender lip, so there is a reference point to go off of. It's time consuming but luckily, I'm only building the one car for me, so it will take as long as it takes, and at 47 I have time on my side.

---Adam
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!
    Early 911S Registry Member 1372
    Check out Unobtanium-Inc.com
    New blog posts all the time!

The engine has arrived, built by Vic, thanks Vic!!!!!

---Adam
    Attached Images Attached Images
    If you're reading this and you are not yet an Early 911S Registry member, Join Now!

The engine is starting to take shape.

---Adam

yea.... some nut and bolls and a goomnaflangee or two.....

Looking good, what a cool project!

Antoine

Very cool thread! What a challenge!

A marathon is sprints and slows, right now we're in the slows. Fitting the inner fender with the outer fender as well as finishing the outer fender. Much of the metal is original but we had to add a lot too. Trying to get it to all be friends as well as interact with the chassis and wheel is a lot of little moving back and forth. So no sprints this weekend, but I'm still running with Wray!

Ran out of day, but we made good but slow progress. One fender flare is done, the original inner finder fit right in, so we knew it was spot on.
    Started on the other side but time is never enough.

---Adam