Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At what point.... racecar resto thread

At what point.... racecar resto thread

Are we going to see early racecars converted back to the street. Obviously racecars with provenance will stay racecars, but the cars over the last three decades that served as the rides for the folks that race SCCA and vintage...that have changed hands a few time, are becoming candidates. I built a 71 ST clone a few years back with a high strung original 2.2 S spec engine that I am racing less and less. Current value as a racecar...$20-25K, current value as an ST clone street car $40-45K and potential value back as a correct narrow body 2.2 T maybe $60-65K? Granted I work for .04 cents per hour and will do all the work. Sort of breaks my heart to undo the racecar...but we are approaching that point with the early longhoods. I know because as I look at cars out in the marketplace....I am a one of those that looks at both ex-racecars as well as bastardized cars (short-hooded, widebodied) with an eye to returning them to stock and what would be involved. Fortunately my car has somewhat of an integral cage tied to the A and B pillars, but it doesn't pick up the shock towers. I will continue to race mine for another season or two...but the seed has been planted. I can pick up and build another marque into a racecar easily...something with less potential value, that if it gets rolled up into a ball, is no great loss.
    I am curious if others are starting to think this direction...

Speedo
    registry# 1283

Hi Speedo, you make a good point, here in the UK your scenario has already been happening. Especially some of the really early 911s, ie the 65 cars which were once not on the enthusiasts radar and many were built for track racing. The value of these has meant some being returned back to road cars, and in fact I had a conversation this very morning about a 69E we built into a race car which he is considering returning to a road car. I suspect more will follow.

Thanks

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by speedo View Post
    current value as an ST clone street car $40-45K Speedo
    I think your valuation as an ST clone is low..... the question to me is what would it take to convert to a $100,000 clone.
    86 Sport Purpose Carrera "O4"

Quote Originally Posted by Macroni View Post
    I think your valuation as an ST clone is low..... the question to me is what would it take to convert to a $100,000 clone.
    Luke point well taken. Obviously "the level of fit" will determine the value of the clone. I was trying to be conservative so as not to turn this thread into another "what is the value of my car potentially if I do all this to it...". Laughably, the first challenge for me will be to recover (not upholstery please) all the OEM stuff I sold off when it became a racecar. Suspension, steering and wheels will stay...but all the interior needs to be re-sourced. In my pursuit of a few 356 coupe candidates...I am definitely kissing some ex-race car "frogs". And frogs tend to have been "care for" with lots of bondo and "shade-tree" welding/brazing repairs over the years.
    Anyway...appreciate the comments.

Speedo
    Last edited by speedo; 01-10-2015 at 11:03 AM.
    registry# 1283

I'm going through this right now with a '70 E I bought last spring. was a track-day car for the last decade or so. fortunately not too many invasive mods were done. mostly a kinda ugly front pan/bulkhead area, RS flares, and approx a million holes inside for mounting various seats, harnesses, roll bar, etc.

as Speedo mentioned, finding and buying all the bits that went astray over the years can be time-consuming and very expensive. also, not all that many race cars still have the original engine.

on the other hand, they don't tend to be rusty.

every case is so different they need to be evaluated individually. finished car value, repairs and restoration needed, cost of missing parts, engine,etc, all enter into it. I personally feel the 'clone' market is a bit over-valued right now. as mentioned, the parts that tend to not remain on a clone are getting more rare and expensive, and someone looking at a car like that will know this. seats, seatbelts, door panels, seats, rims, door pockets, and all the myriad knick-knacks that belong on a stock car often aren't there. which seriously limits the long-term value.

what it will be.........someday.

as I bought it.

what it is now.
    Attached Images Attached Images    

currently racing a 65 with non match 2.0 engine.

Mine was a track day car. It's now a nice touring car.

Name:  911 @ Homestead.jpg
Views: 415
Size:  60.0 KB

The good part was that I never added flares. Once I replaced the sound deadener, carpeting and put stock sway bars back in place it became a great touring car.

The downside is that now I have to finish my Lola to get back on track.

Name:  Lola T250 - Randy Shinn.jpg
Views: 491
Size:  191.4 KB

Richard Newton

Quote Originally Posted by haycait911 View Post
    . . . what it will be.........someday.

as I bought it.

what it is now . . .
    Any üpdate?

We Can Be Heroes

Back resto of racecars has been going on for years. It generally only makes sense for seriously rare cars with finished value well into six figures, since the body and paint work alone can touch that level. Often not worth it for a streetcar unless you can do pretty much all the work yourself.

probably something i should think about
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Craig
    Newcastle, Australia
    ESR #1479

1973 2.4E Coupe ex Hong Kong ex Norfolk Island ex New Zealand now in Oz
    (Autowerks restored stunner)
    http://www.autowerks.com.au/porsche_projects/index.html

1972 2.4E Targa ex Germany ex Japan now in Oz
    (another Autowerks project)

1969 built E based Vintage Racer
    (another Autowerks beauty)