Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Correct vinyl for my 1970 E - have choice of 3 but not sure

Correct vinyl for my 1970 E - have choice of 3 but not sure

Gentlemen

I am going to have my passenger seat re-upholstered with Pepita inserts and vinyl sides/back etc. Looking at the three options for the vinyl that I have been offered, I am suddenly not so sure anymore which one is closest to OEM spec. I thought it's the third one from the right, No. 36 Black. Correct?

Been trying to find an answer to this but while there are a lot of threads on fabric for the seat inserts there seems to be little info on OEM vinyl specs - at least I haven't found any that answers my question.

Appreciate any guidance you can give - many thanks in advance!

Marcus
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    '70 E Coupe Pastel Blue
    '73 S Targa Gold Metallic
    Registry #2890

Marcus,

Call or e mail Tony Garcia at Autobahn Interiors.
    He supplied me with the correct perforated and plain leatherette for my '71 S seats.
    Just a satisfied customer ....

http://www.autobahninteriors.com/#!

HTH
    Dennis.
    1970 914-6 - materialised from the 'Lotto' garage into reality
    1971 2.2 911 S - now back in the UK - sob!
    1975 Carrera Targa (ROW) - missed.
    One of us is fast becoming a valuable antique.
    S Registry member 536
    Australian TYP 901 Register Member 44

Thanks Dennis - great seat!

I am planning to get in touch with Tony if neither of the swatches turns out to be correct. That said: it would be easier if the shop that is working on the seat can use the vinyl it has in stock - so I am hoping that someone here can tell me if one of swatches is the correct one.

Cheers, Marcus
    '70 E Coupe Pastel Blue
    Registry #2890

Are you going to apply the vinyl/leatherette materiel shown to Standard Seats or Recaro Sport Seats?

Because on Sport Seats for 2.2l cars, side bolsters were always perforated vinyl which is very hard to match. (check the photo above supplied by Dennis ). Only on Standard Seats, side bolsters were plain vinyl.

So, if you gonna do plain vinyl to Standard Seats, your sample 36 might be ok or not..best would be to compare the sample directly on a unrestored/original Standard Seat.

EDITED
    Last edited by 911T1971; 05-18-2015 at 12:47 PM.
    Registry member No.773

Who is the supplier of the samples in your pic?? Agree with Karim, no 36 might be OK, but you need to compare the sample directly on your old seat. Maybe the grain is close enough, but what about the "shine".

Here is a close up pic of Tonys vinyl. You should be able to find the same material in Europe.

Name:  Vinyl Autobahn Interiors_small.jpg
Views: 440
Size:  77.2 KB

Cheers, Radmund
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender
    70S Silver, original Slate Gray Japan delivery

Karim, Radmund – thanks for input!

I see – guess I won't get around finding an original unrestored seat to compare the swatches. Can't use mine as it's covered in cheap aftermarket leather.

Karim – to your comment that 2.2 sport seats were always covered in perforated material. It’s an Italian delivery car that originally had a sports seat on the driver’s side and standard passenger seat. Would that statement hold true in that case, too – and the sport seat would have been covered in perforated vinyl while the passenger seat in un-perforated vinyl?

Think that would look a bit odd and not sure how I feel about it. Need to sleep over it, I guess, to see if I want to go down that route.

Radmund: many thanks for the picture. Helpful! As to your question who the supplier is: would have to get back to you on that, so far I was told it's the material that the factory uses today.
    Last edited by Sun888; 01-11-2015 at 05:21 AM. Reason: typos
    '70 E Coupe Pastel Blue
    Registry #2890

Quote Originally Posted by Sun888 View Post
    As to your question who the supplier is: would have to get back to you on that, so far I was told it's the material that the factory uses today.
    Thanks! Please check. Keep in mind that the standard of the Early911SRegistry is higher than Porsche Classic
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender

If you want plain vinyl on Recaro Sport seats, then you have the look of a 2.4l seat, but not a 2.2l.
    Up to you if you want to go with your taste or along the period look.
    Even it looks odd, a plain vinyl passenger Standard Seat aside Sports Seats w perforated bolsters is period correct.

Unless german members chime in to get you an euro adress, I rather would try to order the materiel at autobahn in the US and let your guy using that materiel. If he is proffessional he will understand the period materiel is paramount to you.

Check also the "show your seats" thread to see most seats: http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...ght=show+seats
    Last edited by 911T1971; 01-11-2015 at 09:17 AM.
    Registry member No.773

When Franz/Moito sees this thread, he will probably chime in with the alternatives in Europe. He has compared the quality of vinyl available in Europe vs US.
    S-Reg #1382
    67S Lavender

Again: thanks both!

Karim: great stuff - the info about the 2.2l sports seats always having perforated vinyl or leather no matter if paired with a non-perforated standard seat is worth a lot to me. I'll take the car back to its original configuration and my guy will will be happy to use the material from Autobahn or someone else - we've already gone through something similar when installing a new headliner, using the one from Andrea.

Have checked the show your seat thread before starting this one - but didn't find what I was looking for. Lots of great seats, though.

And thanks Radmund for bringing Franz/Moito into play. Will send him a PM later today. See if I can find a supplier in Europe. Otherwise I will get in touch with Tony.
    '70 E Coupe Pastel Blue
    Registry #2890