Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Excessive Long Signatures

Excessive Long Signatures

Does anyone else on this board find excessively long signatures to be annoying?

Don't get me wrong, I can appreciate the desire to share a list of cars we own(ed), but there's gotta be a point where it gets unreasonable. Right?

Two, three, or four cars ... sure ... but there are people with seven, eight, twenty cars listed. I think it's great that some of us have or have had that many cars currently or over the years, but there are also a few people out there who are grateful to just have one. It's kind of rude to "rub their noses in it," don't ya think?

Or am I way off base here?
    -Marco
    SReg. #778 OGrp: #8 RGrp: #---
    TLG Auto: Website
    Searching for engine #907495 and gearbox 902/1 #229687

Way off base.

I don't have the longest signature but I'm not shy about showing my cars in my signature. Personally, I enjoy seeing the cars our members are passionate about and I've found a lot of common ground around here by sharing mine. I'd hate to see it stop.

Quote Originally Posted by LiveFromNY View Post
    Way off base.

I don't have the longest signature but I'm not shy about showing my cars in my signature. Personally, I enjoy seeing the cars our members are passionate about and I've found a lot of common ground around here by sharing mine. I'd hate to see it stop.
    Fair enough.

I just saw a couple sigs recently with more than 10 cars, and not all are current. Granted, I'm not talking about just this forum, but I can only imagine what would happen if someone like Jim Breazele, Eric Linden, KJ, Frank Beck, Execmalibu, or one of the other "lifers" started listing their current stable along with the gone but not forgotten cars.

I don't know; the excess of it all just smacked of self-indulgence to me...
    -Marco

Banned
    Like most other announcements we choose to make public, it is the motive that ultimately indicts us or not. Unless someone volunteers that they're incredibly insecure or they just want others to also enjoy what they have been blessed with, we'll never know. However, perception and optics do drive us to quietly judge one another. That cannot be disputed.

I can only speak for myself. In third grade I figured out that the only reason the other boys cared about my marbles was because they planned on winning them sooner or later.

And that the marbles come and go.

And that they're just marbles.

I'm with you Marco. But to me it's not lists of cars. It's just the sheer length of some signatures. We also have guys quoting everyone from Gandhi to Jethro Bodine ad nauseum. Some guys are putting pictures in the signature. WTF? Isn't that what the avatar is for? Whatever the content, the long signatures just muck up scrolling through posts. Personally, I think anything over four lines is excessive.

I like the way JP handles his car list with a simple one line link to his website. Those without a personal website can use the resources this forum gives them. Each user here has a profile page, a blog and the ability to create picture albums. Put your cars, your philosophical/political quotes, extra pics, etc there and link to them in your sig.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Simmeth View Post
    I'm with you Marco. But to me it's not lists of cars. It's just the sheer length of some signatures. We also have guys quoting everyone from Gandhi to Jethro Bodine ad nauseum. Some guys are putting pictures in the signature. WTF? Isn't that what the avatar is for? Whatever the content, the long signatures just muck up scrolling through posts. Personally, I think anything over four lines is excessive.

I like the way JP handles his car list with a simple one line link to his website. Those without a personal website can use the resources this forum gives them. Each user here has a profile page, a blog and the ability to create picture albums. Put your cars, your philosophical/political quotes, extra pics, etc there and link to them in your sig.
    Far more eloquently and accurately put than what I wrote.

Thanks for clarifying, Bill, you get what I'm saying.
    -Marco

Gburner
    I don't care about signatures.
    The "gone but not forgotten" or the cute pet names for cars bore me.
    You two are a bit "kettle black".
    Marco's signature promotes his wonderful business TLG (best 911 shop in LA) and the another dissenter signature quotes dead fish.
    My sig is simple but perhaps too relates to your concerns of conspicuous consumption.

Quote Originally Posted by Gburner View Post
    You two are a bit "kettle black".
    Hey, I did say up to four lines was fine with me. Mine's only three.

Agree

The one here now that is 26 lines long is a bit much

I agree with somebody. I think I have exercised restraint in my signature. I've owned lots of Porsches.

I get Marco's point and agree that it is some kind of a poseur meter; or could be perceived that way. Or, it could be an uber the top enthusiast. Also see Franks point. Either way I am good with it. Some of them are pretty funny. At least I have no quotes or cartoons and only one club listed.
    Last edited by steve shea; 01-13-2015 at 08:06 PM.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club