Thread: Auto detailing my paint

Auto detailing my paint

After owning my 71 t Targa for 2 years we moved from rural idaho mountains to San Francisco areea where I can enjoy and drive the car year round. I would like to clean and wax the car to a higher standard and would like some recommendation on best way to go; wash and wax or use clay and wax. I did a bare metal respray on my last long term owned Porsche so paint maintenace was never an issue. I found a picture in previous owners manual of the car in July 1997 with its current red paint so i know it was probably 20+ years since the color change. Can some of you car detailing owners provide some recommendations.

I'm no expert, but the level you go to depends on the condition of the paint and your tolerance for risk. My single-stage paint is more than 30 years old and was not in great shape. It is a repaint so I'm not that worried about it; it will get another repaint during a full restoration at some point, so I had a pretty high risk tolerance. I proceeded to color sand the whole car with 1500 grit followed by 2000 followed by DA compounding followed by DA polish, then wax. The results were surprisingly good, with no burn-through.

I'm not suggesting you do the same, but using this more as an illustration to indicate that you probably have a fair amount of paint to work with. A clay after 20 years would certainly be a reasonable first step before waxing. Maybe clay, followed by compound/polish or just polish, followed by wax? I used the Ultimate line of compound and polish from Meguiars. Worked well. Wasn't very aggressive so there was less chance of making a bonehead novice mistake. I still consider myself a bonehead novice detailer and I hope that point of view keeps me out of trouble in the future!
    Jeff Jensen

And once you get it all shiny come show it off at EASY on February 7!
    Jeff Jensen

If you haven't already, check the various car care product websites: Meguiars, 3M, etc.
    Also poke around youtube.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

First Sat at EASY is on my to do list, I went several months ago but not in the 911. My car had an electrical gremlin when I bought it- it would just stop running while driving and then not start or would not start after a short drive- both conditions left me stranded a number of times. Tom at Mobil Works exchanged permatune for MSD which seemed to solve the problem but I am still a little gunshy until i get more trouble free miles on the car. Also as newcomers to CA I have no idea of where I am driving most of the time and need to learn the roads better.

Here's a great forum with knowledgeable people to help you.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/
    Jake
    Early 911S Registry Member #2799
    1973 911S - "Tangerine Tornado" - Two Time SCCA Solo II National Champion (1976 and 1981)
    1967 Corvette Roadster (Black/Black/Black) 4-speed