Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: "Bi-modal" exhaust?

If you're so inclined, install a second outlet on the other end of the muffler, then install one of these remote-activated exhaust cutout devices in the tailpipe. Configure the tailpipe downward so it doesn't show. Should be louder, but loud enough? There's always the internal sport muffler mods as well. YMMV.

Sherwood
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by Mbremith View Post
    Ps if anyone knows the issue of 911 & Porsche World referenced below that wd be great
    I found the article and I am embarrassed to say that was in the May 2007 Issue of GTPORSCHE Magazine

Chris Harris mentions that some WRC teams were using electric A/C but probably wouldn't share the technology and then goes on asking for leads. The article in that issue was Part 2 of his ST build and the few other issues that I have do not mention the project.

I'll check the GTPORSCHE site and hopefully I'll find something in their database.
    Tim G

Early S Reg #1017
    RGruppe #663

73 911T 3.2
    00 Ducati 996 Track Rat
    01 Ducati S4 Monster

Thanks everyone, plenty to go on with now. I have a less than pristine standard exhaust perfect for experimentation (has been converted to 2 outlet at some point then back to single) so will report back on progress and results for anyone interested. Ideally my goal will be to maintain a standard single outlet look so I think I will be putting 2 gas paths inside, one silenced, one not, with the actuator on the outside where you can't see it.
    Cheers

Mitchell
    HK RHD 1971T Mongrel

Here you go.

Name:  WP_20150117_15_25_18_Pro.jpg
Views: 179
Size:  66.1 KB
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Thanks Kenik. Have you had it working on a car and if so how did it go?
    Cheers

Mitchell
    HK RHD 1971T Mongrel

This is how it would sound if you connect it to a Vette engine:
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2TrycvqeEmY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

As the name implies, the above example bypasses the muffler entirely.
    Last edited by 911pcars; 01-17-2015 at 04:08 PM.

Haven't had it running yet. PO said it worked great.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

BTW, that Vette sounds awesome!
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Quote Originally Posted by Mbremith View Post
    Perfect, thanks Scott.
    You're welcome. BTW - before I sold my last naturally aspirated 911 one of the projects on my to-do list was to install an electric exhaust cutout on one of my outlet pipes. I even thought about wiring in the exhaust cutout to open with the opening of the 3.6 resonance flap but of course never got around to it.

My 3.6 engine ran fine with one 3" outlet capped (much quieter with no drone) and of course ran great with both outlets open (wake the dead loud). For most of my street driving I much preferred a single outlet. However I found a decent compromise setup with Car Chemistry inserts in the outlet pipes.

-Scott
    1987 911 turbo
    In the past - '71 T, '77 S 3.6, '80 SC, '88 3.6 cab

That was also my intention on the 906 replica: have the opening keyed off the RPM to open just when power would drop when capped.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389