Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: "Bi-modal" exhaust?

Stuck your head up too high Mitchell?

Seriously, the Dansk "Rallye" muffler I have with a single outlet and twin capped exits is excellent. The two caps come off in 5 seconds with quick release pins and you have instant aural satisfaction. No electrics/cables and period correct.

Technical point: I am on webers, your MFI likes/needs a little back pressure - playing with exhausts has a direct correlation with MFI tuning...
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Ha ha yeah john don't worry I have thick skin, I can take a boxster jibe (the car the factory calls Jesus because it saved Porsche and without it we might not have 911s any more. And they are GREAT cars). Just as well my skin is thick because I get some serious baggings from normal people - "you paid HOW MUCH for that pile of old shite!?!?! You could have bought a real car!!!"

Good call on back pressure, think I'll make my own so will need to take that in to account.
    Cheers

Mitchell
    HK RHD 1971T Mongrel

Quote Originally Posted by Mbremith View Post
    (the car the factory calls Jesus because it saved Porsche and without it we might not have 911s any more. And they are GREAT cars).
    For a second there I thought you were talking about the 912.
    John Thompson

1966 912. My first car. Bought it Nov. 25, 1988. Still have it.

saw your Criuse Control thread also:.........perhaps backdate, say, an '84 Carrera? Gives you some snort, CC, A/C, p/w, etc. etc....
    Just a thought
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Could have been. Or cayenne. Or Macan. Not many car companies survive making one model, however good it may be.
    Cheers

Mitchell
    HK RHD 1971T Mongrel

Sure you don't want to just park that "real S" for Sundays and simply backdate a SC or Carrera? That'll give you style, Cruise Control, A/C, exhaust options...
    John Forcier
    EarlyS #1987
    1968 911 Race Car "Grun Hilda"
    1969 S/T interpretation "Blau Healer"
    Restoration Saga

Porsche quit making the 911 in 1989, so the Boxster never saved an actual 911.......With the demographics changing on who is buying these old buggy's, it is starting to look like I am increasingly in the minority..which is fine

I kinda like to hear the MFI sucking as much air as it can and the exhaust trying to expel as much half burned fuel and burned up gas as it can and making that nasty poping and cracking sound on high reving decelerations

I don't need cruise control because I can't recall the last time I held my foot on the accelerator in the same position for more than about 5 minutes...unless it was all the way to the floor....even driving long distances on the interstate, I can't help myself speeding up and slowing down so I can hear all the sounds the engine makes.

Good luck with your car, it's your car, I hope you will enjoy it as you see fit...but as others have said, maybe driving a noisy old leaky, creaky car with a radio that plays through a 6" speaker in the dash and an interior that smells like 20w-50 motor oil and heat being about the only real driver comfort isn't really what you are after and a newer faster more reliable Porsche is really what you want....and please understand...that is very cool....these old buggys are not for everyone...and I think over time the new folks who are buying them will come to realize that and they will be sold again

Please don't take any of the responses you get from folks here as personal attacks (and I realize that is easy to say when your not the subject of what appear to be rants)...there are a lot of folks on this forum who have owned these cars for many many years and who knew of their charm long before they became the must have collectible car of the month....Many of these folks are survivors of the short hood conversion craze of the late 70's and 80's and they were the folks who took their RS to the track (cleaning up on cars 20 years newer)..in short they have carried the banner for these cars in their pure form for a long time and so they come by defending them in their pure form as almost second nature...20 years ago Frank Beck didn't have the internet to let loose his rants....his family and employees had to endure them......cause you can bet his opinions have not changed...nor has his or all the other folks like Frank on this forum who have loved and cared for these old cars for the last 30 years opinions about them changed.

DM

Couldn't care less about the responses really other than those relating to the actual question I asked, which I assume is "no one makes a bi-modal exhaust for an early 911". All sorts of people own 911s for all sorts of reasons, I'll do what I want with mine and couldn't give a rats what you do with yours. There can't be a bigger "first world problem" than getting your shorts in a bunch over what someone does with what is, in the end, just a car. A lovely car, but just a car. Enjoy.
    Cheers

Mitchell
    HK RHD 1971T Mongrel

member #1515
    Well, when I was a teenager, we used to call those "cutouts". A cable operated mechanism that opened the exhaust before the muffler.
    As to the cruise control, a simple wire connecting your accelerator to certain "private parts" adjusted by length to the speed you want to maintain, is the perfect mechanical solution to what you want to attain.
    David

'73 S Targa #0830 2.7 MFI rebuilt to RS specs

This muffler could probably be adapted to be switch activated:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...l=1#post476795

-Scott
    1987 911 turbo
    In the past - '71 T, '77 S 3.6, '80 SC, '88 3.6 cab