Thread: 1970-1973 Turn Signal Housings - Variants/Differences

1970-1973 Turn Signal Housings - Variants/Differences

Can anyone tell me what variants there were in the turn signal housings from 1970-1973? I restored my dad's 1970 T many years ago and it had cast housings (magnesium? Please correct me if I am wrong.) My 1973 has plastic housings. Wondering when the change was made. Anyone have a source for having the insides re-plated?

Thanks much,

Steve
    Steven Shanofski

1973.5 911T Sunroof Coupe - 414 Olive
    1970 911T Targa - Paint to Sample

1955 Cessna C-170B (Gone but not forgotten.)

I've never seen plastic ones?? Silver/chrome aerosol paint works very well.
    Early S Registry member #90
    R Gruppe member #138
    Fort Worth Tx.

Quote Originally Posted by edmayo View Post
    I've never seen plastic ones??
    Neither have I, except for the cheap aftermarket replacements.

The housings are just cheap pot metal, not magnesium.

Member #226 R Gruppe Life Member #147
    We were doing a resto on RS and ordered new euro front and rear turn housing from Porsche, the left front was plastic, and the fit was horrible, our parts guy got us a correct one in pot metal but it didn't have the original part number. Gled

I found the same thing. The current offerings are horrible. Bought what was advertised as OEM units for the front and they were plastic and the quality was nowhere near the original. I am going to try and restore my original ones.
    Steven Shanofski

I got both front assemblies out. They are pot metal and not plastic after all. When I removed the lenses initially they honestly looked like they were plastic inside. Silver reflective coating was worn off and there is a dull white underneath that. Not sure if it is a base coat for the silver but they appeared to be plastic at first glance. They are in good condition other than the plating and are original with the original markings. I now need to find someone who can re-plate the inside. Anyone have a source and any knowledge as to what the were originally plated with?
    Steven Shanofski

I think everyone is just painting with aerosol spray paint, white followed by chrome. If you hunt around there is a specific thread on it here.
    Jeff Jensen

Registry member# 206 fourteenten's Avatar
    Original housings had some sort of yellow base coating (primer?), then white and finished of silver. Italian market housings did not have the reflective coating (not all will agree....). You will never get the same reflective effect with aerosol spray paint but it is not bad either. It seems to be a special process to re-plate ''silver paint'' and expensive.

Cees

The right rear housing for the 1972 model year is unique, in that it is missing the pass thru wiring for the oil tank level sender.
    Ask me how I know...;(
    Bill Conway, Early S Registry member #254
    1970 S, 2.2L Silvermetallic Coupe
    1973 T, 3.2L Black Carrera Targa
    1969 T, 2.4L Silvermetallic Targa