Thread: '73 911T with 3.2L just sold on BAT for $60k

'73 911T with 3.2L just sold on BAT for $60k

$60k plus $5k buyer's premium totals $65k

I consider this strong money for a car that is not numbers matching, has been colour-changed and has a non-working sunroof:

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/197...he-911t-coupe/

I consider it a very fair price.
    1969 911S Targa
    1970 911S Coupe
    1973 911T w 3.2
    1972 Alfa GTV 2000

I dig it. $60s seems fine.

I also believe the price was fair. It was an exciting auction. In the last three minutes the bidding went from 41K to 60K with one of the final two bidders showing up very late in the process. Congrats to both buyer and seller.

Dave
    Registry Member #1583
    '73 911 S Aubergine (VIN#9113301295)

I followed this auction closely and watched it unfold real-time yesterday. The reason this car went to 60K plus 5% commission...or 63K total...was that there were 2 bidders at the "end" of the auction who really wanted the car. The word "end" is in quotes because when an auction on Bring-a-Trailer "ends" it really doesn't end...it starts a 3-minute countdown. At any time during that 3 minutes you can still put in another bid. When another bid comes in the 3 minutes starts again. This cycle repeats until a full 3 minutes goes by with no further bids.

Go here...

http://bringatrailer.com/listing/197...he-911t-coupe/

If you scroll down to where Palmer bid 54,500 at 2:49...I believe that was the original "end" of the auction. After that you see bids at 2 to 3-minute intervals. That's all overtime/extra innings/sudden death! And that would have been the selling price at a normal auction. But this auction format pulled another 5,500 out of it.

I am no Keith Martin but I am calling this well sold.
    Lee Fishpaw

O Gruppe #20
    Early S Reg #2175
    R Gruppe #714
    '70 914-6
    '88 911
    '85 928S
    '74 260Z
    '74 TR6

So if the car was 73T bone stock, numbers matching (let's ignore the sunroof since it's broken), would you pay more or the same for it (and its originality) despite having a less fun 2.4 instead of the 3.2 ? Curious... I think it's strong as well, but I have my near perfect T insured in that vicinity, so....
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Greg,

That car in it's original color (Aubergine) and numbers matching and without any serious issues would be worth a good chunk more. Personally, I like it's current setup...just not at 63K. I did my due diligence here and was definitely not bidding at anything over 45 or so.
    Lee Fishpaw

O Gruppe #20
    Early S Reg #2175
    R Gruppe #714
    '70 914-6
    '88 911
    '85 928S
    '74 260Z
    '74 TR6

Thanks Lee... That's what I was thinking.. if a mongrel (a nice mongrel, don't get me wrong) sells for what my original car is worth, maybe hagerty's valuations are a little low... another coverage bump, I guess...
    Greg.
    ----------
    72 911T - 73 2002

Quote Originally Posted by Greg D. View Post
    So if the car was 73T bone stock, numbers matching (let's ignore the sunroof since it's broken), would you pay more or the same for it (and its originality) despite having a less fun 2.4 instead of the 3.2 ? Curious... I think it's strong as well, but I have my near perfect T insured in that vicinity, so....
    This is the essence of why I posted this BAT auction result here. This is the question that I had in my own mind, but didn't pose this question specifically so as not to lead the jury (so to speak). Based on what I think the current market is for a '73T in average cosmetic shape (which this car is) but with its original drivetrain, correct factory colour and working sunroof, my sense is this car (@ $63k) is overpriced and was therefore very well sold.

Keep in mind that this is a single data point. There are a few long hoods on eBay that can't break the $50,000 barrier.

The market seems to be stabilizing right now. The next real valuations will take place at the Amelia auction. Scottsdale isn't a good Porsche market.

Richard Newton