Thread: Differences Between Door Tops

Differences Between Door Tops

Friends,

I have searched the site under "door tops" because I was sure that there was a previous thread in this regard, but I couldn't locate the thread I sought. So, I decided to post this thread and photos to get input from other members and scholars. Please understand that my project is a '68 and I am not addressing the '70-'73 issues that might (or might not) be implied. There are lots of door tops out there on various websites, and some of them seem to be mis-labeled.

I'd enjoy any feedback or additional input. In addition, if anyone has a '68-only driver side door top laying around, let me know.

As the photo shows, there are three different early 911 door tops. According to my personal research, the three door tops shown are for the SWB 65-67 (the narrowest one); the LWB version (the fattest one); and the '68 (allegedly one year only, the middle-sized one shown).

While acknowledging that these are curved at the end (which means the measurements vary), the three measurements of the fat end are:
    • SWB 65-67 = ~1 1/8"
    • 68 only = ~1 7/8"
    • LWB = 2 3/8"

The SWB one is essentially flat at the fat end, while the '68 and LWB have a definite break in the fat end, as the photos indicate.

Each successive version has increased padding.

The '68-only one also has a flare on the end as show in the photo, indicating that they initially only minimally modified the '67 version (which seems to make sense).

I'm interested to see/hear other thoughts and input. Thank you to everyone.
    Attached Images Attached Images     

Door garnish rail seems to be a commonly used term. Some good info here:

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...arnish-molding

http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...or-rails-72-73

i would never have thought to use the term "door garnish rails" in the search, but thank you.

from the other threads, it appears that the scholars show 4 kinds of door tops/garnish rails for the Early 911s:

65-67
    68-only
    69-71 and
    72-73 (molded)

i am far more educated than i wanted to be, but that's the beautiful thing about this community of enthusiasts. Thanks to everyone who contributes to discussions like these.

(I also appreciate that the community has a tolerance for stupid questions (like mine).)

Anyone able to advance this thread for the 74-77 cars? I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between the 72-73 garnish rails and the 74-77 rails (besides the electric mirror switch, if applicable).