Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: FS: 1969 911S Crystal Blue

[QUOTE=Unobtanium-inc;785437]We used to ride our bikes past RBM on Pharr Road as kids. We lived a few blocks away, and my high school was right there, too. Lots of drooling went on as the salesmen glared at us for getting our bikes too close to the high dollar sheet metal. - Matt[/QUOTE

the Pharr Rd location ( pictured above ) was their 3rd location for RBM (a few years past 1969... first new custom built building / facility for RBM featuring Mercedes ) , for model year 1969 ( fall 1968 ) intro of Porsches, RBM was still located at the back end of a small strip center on Peachtree Rd across the street from what is now Phipps Plaza... their 2nd location was across the street on Pharr Rd from where they built their facility pictured above... the other Porsche dealer in town at the time was Bill Spreen located on west Peachtree St about where the street crosses over the x-way today

Love the color Chris. I too recently completed my early 69S Bahama Yellow Coupe.
    And I can't tell you how much fun it is to drive. Just loving it. Im sure you will agree.
    Is yours for sale?

This looks like a beautiful car. Great color. Was the front hit or rusted? It looks like one detail was missed.
    Steve Shea #1 joined a long time ago
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

member Jackson Hole Ski Club

Such a great color. In some light conditions, it looks very close to my turquoise (6464) car.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    techweenie.com

My parts fetcher: 2016 Tesla S | Currently building: 73 RSR tribute and 69 RS tribute

Quote Originally Posted by steve shea View Post
    This looks like a beautiful car. Great color. Was the front hit or rusted? It looks like one detail was missed.
    The drain holes.......

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681

yup....those pesky replacement panels. BTW the red '64 for 795K listed above has the same issue.
    Last edited by steve shea; 11-13-2015 at 12:14 PM.
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

Chris it is a beautiful car and it should not matter. But a detail is a detail. The nose panel did not have the holes on the passenger side until sometime in '72. If you look you can clearly see that your car has these holes. Under the VIN plate. They should not be there for a correct car. With the holes there, it says replacement panel and brings up other questions. The replacement panels to this point all have the holes. To make it correct your metal guy would had to have filled in the holes.

I seem to see this more and more. As I said the 795K red '64 has the same issue. I'm sure your metal guy did great work but this detail is not widely known, I think, outside of this forum. The same thing happened to me on the restoration of my '67S but I caught it before paint. The body shop was great and redid it on their nickel. Porsche specialty shops should know this. Hopefully some panel maker will address the issue. Perhaps your body shop will work with you on making it right or just live with it.
    Last edited by steve shea; 07-09-2016 at 09:05 AM.
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

Steve, Thank you for the information. Is it just the drain holes on the left of the lock or is it the ones on the right as well?

1969 Crystal Blue 911S
    1969 Coffee Brown 911T
    1988 Guards Red 930
    1973 Ravenna Green 914 2.0L
    and 11 others sold or in the wings.....

Just the passenger side.
    58 speedster
    66 912
    67S
    73S
    97 VW eurovan
    1132 honda snowblower

Quote Originally Posted by Chrisg911s View Post
    Steve, Thank you for the information. Is it just the drain holes on the left of the lock or is it the ones on the right as well?
    Hi Chris

Check out your own pictures of the car in post 8. Unfortunately the front collision bar is partially in the way but the original panel before restoration is as Steve describes.

Now, did you backdate the rear slam panel and the sill panels? :-)

You have a gorgoeus car.

Regards
    Mike
    RS#1551(sold)
    67S
    73E (home after 25 years) and sold again
    Early S reg. #681