Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1968 racing seat belts

1968 racing seat belts

I'm thinking of changing the seat belt arrangement in my 68. I want to install racing harnesses and my car has the factory single fixing points on the rear parcel shelf. Does anyone have any views on how safe it is to use the anchor points for the shoulder straps? Also, does anyone have a period photo showing how the 2 shoulder straps attached to this single anchor point?

Any help gratefully received!
    Early 911S Registry #888

Hi Philip,

the harness mounts on the rear parcel shelf have spreader plates to the underside and are perfectly adequate. The mounting arrangement on a Britax 901 harness uses a snaphook fitting that will clip onto an eyebolt. In my opinion this looks a little busy to me. Sorry, no picture to hand. The Britax is the correct harness for a SWB period competition car. The Repa harness uses an angular L shaped bracket with a single bolt hole for mounting. I can help with either harness to any bespoke design.

Some pictures in these threads.

http://activitiesatwww.early911sregi...nesses-R-TR-ST
    http://www.early911sregistry.org/for...-made-to-order

Thanks Dave. I'm interested. I'll PM you.

Still interested if anyone has period or modern pictures of how a three point race harness attaches to the parcel shelf anchor point.
    Early 911S Registry #888

Many early rally cars used Auotflug belts and harness that had the retractable tensioner attached to the parcel shelf mount. I've got this setup in my car, and works very well in the real world as it adjusts the shoulder harness automatically wherever the seat is positioned. I don't think I've got a picture of my setup, but here are a couple I found of how this setup mounts.
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by Jim Garfield; 01-26-2015 at 04:49 AM.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Nice seats Jim. i have never seen an Autoflug harness in a pre-73 Porsche 911 factory car. Did they install them before 73 or later. ? I think post 73. Does anyone on the board have a period photo. If so, i would love to see it.

Philip, PM sent. Picture of the parcel shelf mounting point location on a factory Safari ST. These mounts are only installed in some shells. I have them in a 70T and a 68 T but interestingly, not on an S i recently parted with.

Pictures:

70 T

Name:  IMG_2335.jpg
Views: 828
Size:  57.8 KB

68 T

Name:  IMG_2337.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  121.4 KB

Not my seats stretch, just some pictures I have in my hard drive. You may be right about the Autoflugs, I'm not sure when they first started putting them into the factory cars.
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Anybody know the thread size for those mounts?
    Scott H.
    1969 Coupe LtWt
    1973.5 911T

Anyone have a close-up shot of how the rear shelf is finished to provide access to the mounts? TIA.
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437

Here you go Bill. Headed up to Sno*Drift?
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    '74 leichtbau
    "Sascha"
    R Grp 246
    S Reg 823

Thank you much, Jim!

Yes, Curt, Jared and I are heading up Friday. Will be at Tally's in Lewiston around noon for lunch. Join us if you can dig out in time.
    Bill G.

1968 911 Ossi Blue coupe...full restoration in process
    Done: Engine; transmission; suspension; gauges; wheels; rust repair & primer; brakes; paint
    In progress: electrical; the tedious, endless, horrible fastener sorting/plating
    EarlyS #718 | RGruppe #437