Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1965 911 Radio Delete (Does anyone have photos)

1965 911 Radio Delete (Does anyone have photos)

Someone along the way decided that it would be a good idea to cut the center section of the dash out of my car and install one of those fancy pull out tape decks from the late 80's (since round filed). The Kardex and Porsche have confirmed that this car came from the factory with no radio. I am wanting to restore the dash and would like to make the trim etc. as it was when it left the factory. Can anyone share photos of a no radio optioned car? I would also assume I can ditch the antenna and have the hole on the fender repaired?

Not sure what year the factory started using the "Radio Delete Plates". I'm sure someone will chime in on this. I think asse sales has some or there are others I've seen floating around the forums. If you can't find anything, pm me with your email and I'll shoot you a pic of mine.

I can't provide a photo, but this is covered elsewhere in this forum recently:
    Since the 911 had either a wood, brushed aluminum, or basketweave vinyl dash covering, they simply cut no hole in the appropriate trim, although there are holes behind the trim on the 'structural' dash. The 912, with its body-colored dash had no trim, and thus used a blanking plate that said 'Porsche' as used in 356.
    Again.
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

Thank you to those who have replied. It sounds like my car should have a simple piece of wood across the radio cut out (which will be repaired). I am still wondering about the antenna, again I would assume no radio no antenna or hole in the fender? Also should the speaker grill in the dash have holes or was this also covered over?

Senior Member Christian Guthrie's Avatar
    I believe the radio delete consisted of the pictured radio block off plate. Most radios were installed by the dealer, not the factory. However, the factory still built in provisions for one to be added. I'm sure there are some exceptions to this rule as Porsche did whatever the customer requested. Hope this helps,
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Early 911S Registry # 237 NeunElf's Avatar
    Here's another interpretation of an EARLY dash without radio. Radios were extra-cost options so it mightn't be 100% accurate to call the absence of a radio "radio delete."

Name:  April 65 Page 05_ps1.jpg
Views: 373
Size:  103.2 KB

This is from a brochure dated April 1965 and shows a separate piece of wood with a cut at the edge of the ashtray. The very active thread Special early 1964 features on 1965 cars has narrowed the change from the early "6 piece wood dash" to the later "5 piece wood dash" happening somewhere between chassis number 300567 and chassis number 300835.
    Last edited by NeunElf; 01-27-2015 at 01:59 PM.
    Jim Alton
    Torrance, CA
    Early 911S Registry # 237

1965 Porsche 911 coupe
    1958 Porsche 356A cabriolet

NeunElf thank you for the brochure photo! That answers two questions as I see there is still the holes in the speaker grill.

Please correct me if I am wrong, but wasn't the standard for Porsche at that time to deliver a car without a radio and that the addition of a radio to the basic package was called out as an option? This being so, use of the term "radio delete" is at best a misnomer, at worst, just plain wrong. "Radio delete" appears to be wording carried over from the Corvette contingent who have had the same problem when discussing their C1 series cars that were normally produced without radios. The term "radio delete" should only be applied to those cars where a radio was a part of the standard package and for some reason was not installed by the manufacturer at the factory.

Quote Originally Posted by cdill View Post
    Thank you to those who have replied. It sounds like my car should have a simple piece of wood across the radio cut out (which will be repaired). I am still wondering about the antenna, again I would assume no radio no antenna or hole in the fender? Also should the speaker grill in the dash have holes or was this also covered over?
    My non radio delivered car March 1965 has a dash topcover that has no grid of holes for the speaker. The wood I do not know as this piece was missing
    member 2971 Jacques
    911 March 1965
    912 April 1965
    911 May 1965
    964 RS clone (one of many)
    964 Targa original Dutch police car (one of 45)
    964 Turbo 3.6 (one of 1450)
    993 S Vesuvio (one of 250)

^^PSS how about the feder? Is there an antenna or hole?