Thread: Repainting Air Filter Cover

Repainting Air Filter Cover

As per the image below, my air filter cover is looking pretty bad, so was wanting to give it a spruce up (blast and powder coat).

I looked at removing the inner plastic/rubberised assembly, but this appears to be pressed into the cover and held by the four 'pins' (the four dots on the outer section of the cover) and very difficult to remove.

Has anyone removed the inner section before, or should I give that idea up and mask the inner section and hand prep & paint it.

All advice welcome!

Scotty
    '74 Carrera 2.7 Targa ROW

Instagram - @aircooledlist

Name:  IMG_4171_zps14725c2f.jpg
Views: 201
Size:  94.5 KB

"....give that idea up and mask the inner section and hand prep & paint it."

Yup......after a quick session in the glass media finishing cabinet , and a coat of both sandable primer and low luster black found in the parts stores, you can't tell the difference from a new factory supplied piece. If the plastic piece is ugly you can get black bumper paint in an aerosol can. Or your local body shop will do it for $300

The inner is heat staked at the four pins you point to. If you need to remove a soldering iron will deform them enough for removal. After that is done I am uncertain how well reassembly will look though. The one I removed was not planned to be reassembled...
    -Andrew
    '72 911E
    '82 931, '92 968, '93 968
    S Reg #1074

Scotty,

I'd mask the plastic well and carefully bead blast the metal, prime, and spray with good quality satin black...

Then treat the plastic with 303 (many applications) and call it a day...

My .02

cm
    Chuck Miller
    Creative Advisor/Message Board Moderator - Early 911S Registry #109
    R Gruppe #88

TYP901 #62
    '73S cpe #1099 - Matched # 2.7/9.5 RS spec rebuild
    '67 Malibu 327 spt cpe - Period 350 Rebuild

’98 Chevy S-10 – Utility
    ’15 GTI – Commuter

SEM Trim Black... Your Porsche black paint solution for all things.
    Kenik
    - 1969 911S
    - 1965/66 911
    - S Reg #760
    - RGruppe #389

Thanks very much guys - i appreciate the feedback. Will probably mask it well and get my local painter to do the job.

cheers!
    Scotty

Early S #3169

'70 911S Coupé
    '73 911T Targa
    '78 911SC coupé
    '74 BMW 3.0 CS

Instagram - @aircooledlist