Are they available yet in the US?
    Merv

Member # 2633
    Cars:
    Porsche '68 - 911N (Sold)
    Porsche 356B (T-6) S Coupe
    Porsche 2008 C2 997 Cabriolet (Sold)
    Porsche 2010 Gen.2 Boxster S

Dougal, Glad to see you posting on this site. Welcome.
    How do these CN 36s differ from the last two versions available in the past 5-10 years?
    (One was tube type with some vintage writing on the side and one was tubless.)
    H

Harvey - can you comment on first MY CN36 185's were available
    Early 911S Registry #750
    1970 911E - The Good Stuff
    2001 Toyota Landcruiser

185/70VR15 Pirelli CN36

Sorry for my delay in getting back to you.

Firstly these tyres are genuine Pirelli tyres made in the same factory they make their F1 tyres.

the date codes on them are the very last 2 weeks of 2014.

these tyre sno longer say "Vintage Car use only"

these tyres are e-marked & DOT marked.

They are V speed rated.

They are Tubeless (but you can fit a tube if you want. If you are not sure about your rim and you have a 70 profile tyre or taller, just fit a tube there is no harm done. However you cannot fit tubes in 65% profile or less)

We ship them all over the world and shipping these days costs pennies and is really fast:-

https://www.borrani.com/en/pirelli-t...cinturato.html
    http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page...elli-cinturato

Douglas thanks for posting here and helping those of us not overly familiar with tires expand our options.

Can you also briefly discuss relative tire grip - I'm considering the 185/70-15 CN36, Michelin XWX and Vredestein Sprint Classic (budget consideration) for a very original '73E. It has the original Fuchs 6x15's and the original 'S' suspension setup with refreshed rubber bushings.

I've also got a mildly hot-rodded '71T (2.8 MFI, Bilstein HD, 21/26 torsion bars, 18mm front and rear sways, S brakes) with deep six Fuchs 6x15 fronts and 7Rx15 rears. For this car I'm considering the Pirelli P6000 195/65-15 or a combination of 185/70-15 front and 215/60-15 rear in either the P6000 or the Avon CR6ZZ. I prefer the more classic look and stance of the Avons vs. the P6000, but the car is a street only 'sporting' touring car and I am concerned that the Avons would either throw up too much road trash and/or be less progressive than the P6000's. I have been using Yoko AO48's on this car which handle well but don't look right and throw up a lot of road trash.

Thanks for your input.

Best,

Bob
    1973 911E - Viper Green
    1973 911T - Light Ivory, becoming Glacier Blue RS

Quote Originally Posted by RTincher View Post
    Douglas thanks for posting here and helping those of us not overly familiar with tires expand our options.

Can you also briefly discuss relative tire grip - I'm considering the 185/70-15 CN36, Michelin XWX and Vredestein Sprint Classic (budget consideration) for a very original '73E. It has the original Fuchs 6x15's and the original 'S' suspension setup with refreshed rubber bushings.

I've also got a mildly hot-rodded '71T (2.8 MFI, Bilstein HD, 21/26 torsion bars, 18mm front and rear sways, S brakes) with deep six Fuchs 6x15 fronts and 7Rx15 rears. For this car I'm considering the Pirelli P6000 195/65-15 or a combination of 185/70-15 front and 215/60-15 rear in either the P6000 or the Avon CR6ZZ. I prefer the more classic look and stance of the Avons vs. the P6000, but the car is a street only 'sporting' touring car and I am concerned that the Avons would either throw up too much road trash and/or be less progressive than the P6000's. I have been using Yoko AO48's on this car which handle well but don't look right and throw up a lot of road trash.

Thanks for your input.

Best,

Bob
    Hi Bob. Sorry for my delay in replying.

One of the things that makes Michelin such an excellent tyre is their attention to detail when it comes to building their carcase. The uniform carcase contributes to grip and longevity as well as ride. because the tread is well presented to the road on a robust carcase it stops it from squirming around while in contact with the road which gives excellent grip and cuts down the scrubbing that wears tyres. http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page...helin-xwx.html you can buy them here with free carriage to most places.

It sort of isn't really relevant to your question, but buying tyres is a bit of a grudge purchase. People resent the expense of replacing something that just wears out is a bit like paying tax. One of the things that Pirelli seem to have done, is to some how made buying Pirelli tyres sexy. Not just due to their famous calendars, but also with their sexy tread patterns. The CN36 looks fabulous https://www.cinturato.net/pirelli-cinturato-cn36/

But you do also buy exceptional grip. The current range of Cinturato tyres use Pirelli's up to date modern compounds. this compound is aimed more at grip and moving water out the way, than Longevity. I think the Cinturato will give exceptional grip. http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page...elli-cinturato the Pirelli is so hot off the press we haven't as yet had any feed back.

the Vredestein is a good price http://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/page...n-classic.html

Both the Pirelli and the XWX are genuine period tyres that were around when these cars were built so the cars were set up to be used with a tyre like this. Tyres of this period have rounded shoulders, that make them handle in a more progressive manner. The CR6ZZ Avon is a tyre developed relatively recently road racing on classic cars and handle extremely well. Tyres like the P6000 are developed for modern cars that have a huge amount of caster which is counteracted by very clever modern power steering. these squarer shoulders will not handle as progressively as the CR6ZZ. The CR6ZZ isn't a period tyre, However Avon have got the right carcase shape and structure and they handle beatifully. the P6000 is an excellent tyre but not i believe for this car. https://www.borrani.com/en/avon-tyres/cr6zz.html

I hope that helps

If you would like to ring Longstone for a chat 00 44 1302 711123 we will try to give you our honest opinion of what is the best tyre for you, out of the choice. We sell all the best manufacturers of classic car tyres. Also you may well be able to haggle yourself a discount.

Dougal

thx for this infos.
    Registry member No.773

Just reading this write up on tyres, and it is excellent.

I am wondering if anyone can add to this, given it's been about 4 years since Dougal last wrote when the Michelins were new.

I have a 71T with a nice suspension set up and 6" fuchs. The suspension is being completed now, but 19/23 (maybe 25,26 to go in the back) TB's, with 16 F&R 911S Sway bars, koni adjustable's, S callipers, and rubber bushes. It'll be lowered a bit and is really a fast street setup. That said, and reading the above, i'd be more tempted to buy the Avon's. However i'm happy to hear other opinion of those that have used them recently.

Best regards,

Adam