Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Full Restoration and Powder Coating

Full Restoration and Powder Coating

I was wondering what the consensus was regarding powdercoat and 'high level' restorations. When we restored the undercarriage on my 930, we used new hardware and powdercoated all of the suspension components in satin black. I like the powdercoat for it's cost, uniformity, and durability but was wondering if it was frowned upon because of it's deviation from stock.

Do the really well done cars (condition 1) have any powdercoat on the suspension pieces or do they all have wet paint like at the time of manufacture?

Thanks so much!
    Member #3127

I have been giving this a lot of thought since I am also at that point where I need to refinish my suspension.

I am hearing more and more people lately (across many car genres) who have stopped using powder coat for a couple of reasons. The first is that if it does chip, then it will get moisture behind it and often will start peeling/lifting. If this happens, you are kinda screwed because you wont be able to spot repair it. The second is that the powder doesn't always get down in the tight crevices or seams and rust can develop in these tight spots. The third is something that I experienced with some powder coated spring plates on my car. The coating is slick and twice I had the alignment slip on the rear arms presumably because there is very little friction between two powder coated parts. YMMV

For that reason, and because it is more accurate, I decided to go with black epoxy. I guess this was more than you asked and perhaps I'm over thinking it, but thats what I do...
    Last edited by Cornpanzer; 02-02-2015 at 03:42 PM.
    Renn-Spot - Cars & parts For Sale - http://renn-spot.blogspot.com/
    1970 911"S" - Black (originally silver)
    1974 911"S" - Silver
    1973 911"T" - Bahia Red - Now Sold
    10 sec 67 VW
    Early "S" Registry #439

If you want to win a first place ribbon than paint black if you want it to last then powder coat. The black paint from the factory isn't even close to as durable than powder coating. You can even paint over the powder coat but that's a whole other discussion.
    Last edited by Longballa; 02-02-2015 at 06:33 PM.
    72S, 72T now ST

I used to be a powder fan myself.
    My experience has been that the powder process builds up too much and takes up tolerances in critical areas like on spring plates near the splined and eccentric bolt area. SWB control arms I ran into ball joints being difficult to install without tearing up the finish. Careful masking has to be done. But then why go through all the trouble when you can control better how much build up you have in these areas. . Annoying stuff like that I ran into.

I favor paint now. Glasurit's 22 line if you can get it in your area.

Dave.. your car is so bitchen I would definitely go paint. Im pretty sure that is what your Spidey senses are telling you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ralfy View Post
    I used to be a powder fan myself.
    My experience has been that the powder process builds up too much and takes up tolerances in critical areas like on spring plates near the splined and eccentric bolt area. SWB control arms I ran into ball joints being difficult to install without tearing up the finish. Careful masking has to be done. But then why go through all the trouble when you can control better how much build up you have in these areas. . Annoying stuff like that I ran into.

I favor paint now. Glasurit's 22 line if you can get it in your area.

Dave.. your car is so bitchen I would definitely go paint. Im pretty sure that is what your Spidey senses are telling you.
    On LWB arms and spring plates you of course need to tape off where the bushings are going to be but there's no tolerance issues.
    72S, 72T now ST

Paint, like the Factory did.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

Quote Originally Posted by Longballa View Post
    On LWB arms and spring plates you of course need to tape off where the bushings are going to be but there's no tolerance issues.
    Of course you mask
    As I mentioned.

Sorry, Im simply not a fan of powder anymore.

Again, I base it on the car and how it's going to be used. High end hot rod that will be driven I would powder coat as it will last for years with a simple wipe down once in a while. If you drive the car a lot no way will the paint last as long and look as good years down the road. If the car is a show car or not driven often then paint them. A great paint to use BTW for parts, dash and all things blacked out on a LWB car is PPG Hot Rod black. It's a two part system so it's durable and the Satin Black is dead on. It's expensive though and not available in some states.
    72S, 72T now ST

Fair enough

PPGs Hot Rod black? Ill have to try that sometime.
    I'll check and see if I can find it here.

The origional parts were dipped in single stage baking industrial enamel. If you really want to make them like stock....
    Very similar to the wheel dipping process....
    H