Thread: Grey/beige sun visor brackets for early cars

Grey/beige sun visor brackets for early cars

Can someone point me in the right direction for the grey sun visor brackets that have been used in the SWB's? Does anybody make them again?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Mike, member #841

I dont think the early brackets are being remade, be careful when buying used brackets, check your sunvisors, the brackets are made with 2 different pin diameters 6mm & 8mm, my thought is the much earlier are 6mm pins, my Nov 65 build has 8mm pins.
    Now maybe the 6mm pin was later to have more plastic around the pin to keep from breaking?? I dont know but in rounding up pins over the years there are definately 6mm & 8mm pins.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry L View Post
    I dont think the early brackets are being remade, be careful when buying used brackets, check your sunvisors, the brackets are made with 2 different pin diameters 6mm & 8mm, my thought is the much earlier are 6mm pins, my Nov 65 build has 8mm pins.
    Now maybe the 6mm pin was later to have more plastic around the pin to keep from breaking?? I dont know but in rounding up pins over the years there are definately 6mm & 8mm pins.

Regards
    Actually, all early coupes and Targas, for that matter, came with 2 of each size pin. The pins can be interchanged, if you know how to do it.

Regards

Jim

Just saw a post in the For Sale ... FS-early sunvisor brackets, has both size pins.
    Good luck with your search,
    Regards,
    Mike

Quote Originally Posted by Soterik View Post
    Jim,
    Are the black targa brackets interchangeable with the grey coupe brackets? Did the 68 and later targa brackets remain the same as the early targa brackets? Asking as the later targa brackets may be a source to use in the early coupe cars by painting these brackets grey.

tks,

Eric
    Hi Eric

Yes, the 2 screw black Targa Sunvisor brackets work just fine. Targas eventually went to brackets with just one screw and they are not compatible.

Regards

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry L View Post

Regards
    here the differences

P1240622.jpg
    Wim van den Berg
    Holland

911 2.2 E 1970
    911 2.7 Carrera 1974
    911 3.0 RSR 1974 Tribute
    930 3.0 Turbo 1976

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Breazeale View Post
    Actually, all early coupes and Targas, for that matter, came with 2 of each size pin. The pins can be interchanged, if you know how to do it.

Regards

Jim
    Jim, thanks for the information, were they set that the 8mm was at the A piller and the 6mm was at the mirror for example??
    I am curious as how to interchange them? I had made a plastic sleeve to go over a 6mm pin to give a couple to a friend a few years back, I could not get the pinch screw to tighten down enough to grab the 6mm pin.

As always thanks for your information!!

Regards

I'm not Jim, but my '67 visors are that way: smaller pin on the inside, by rearview mirror. HTH
    Brian
    S Reg #1032

"I measured twice, cut three times, and it's still too short!"

The knowledge on this board never ceases to amaze me...
    Peter Kane

'72 911S Targa
    Message Board Co-Moderator - Early 911S Registry #100

Simply excellent, thank you very much guys :-) I'll get in touch with Brian and buy his sunvisor. I actually only need the brackets, so if somebody needs the sunvisor, let me know.

Cheers,
    Mike
    Mike, member #841