Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: light ivory problem 6404

light ivory problem 6404

a friend of mine recently got his car painted after a bare metal restoration.the paint used was PPG.
    during the assembling process he was able to compare the colour of his car with an other 65 light ivory car(unrestored mostly in its first paint) .
    having both cars standing next to each other it was clear that the colour on his car is quite different as on the other car...both have the same colour code (6404).

so he went to the paint shop to complain about this.
    the paintshop did an other colour sample with fresh mixed paint according to the recipe ---but the result was the same..way to greenish...

so they contacted PPG--a technician came but got the same result.far off any light ivory nuances known.

my buddy now gets his car resprayed at the cost of PPG but they dont have the correct colour yet.
    the original 65 car is sold overseas so ppg can not take colour analysis on that one anymore.(i think they could but this is an other story)
    the size of the original colour chips is to small to do propper measurements.( i`m asking myself why the now dont adjust the colour by hand/eye......probably an other story...and i`m also asking myself why they did not have a look at the chips befor spraying the car in the first place...an other story???)

so my question is has anyone also have had problems with PPG light ivory...and how they solved the problem?

thank you.

Wow, I thought I was the only person this has happened to. I painted my car back in 1993 with PPG acrylic urethane in light ivory. They had the original paint chips and my car came out way too creamy in color. A cream color is the best way to describe it. My rear bumper which still has it's original paint doesn't look the same at all. My car has been parked since I painted it, so I never did anything about it. I'm going to be repainting my car at some point, and I'll have to seriously consider another brand. I might have to spring for Glasurit.
    I was going to go out tomorrow and get something from my car and I'll have to put the rear bumper next to the front fender to show the difference. I'll post the pic here hopefully tomorrow.

Given the importance of getting the color right, you should have the painter do a test card before shooting the car. I ordered PPG slate gray for a 65 911 and it came out looking like sewer water; Standox single stage turned out to be perfect for that color based on a recommendation from this site. I'm no paint expert but my feeling is that the original paint codes don't translate well into modern paints. I think Willhoit has a bunch of sample paint cards that they sprayed using original Glasurit paints that represent the true colors of our cars.
    John Schiavone

Connecticut

356 Cab, 66 911, 914-6, 550-Beck, 981 Cayman, 54 MV Agusta Dustbid

thanks john
    well actually i am a colour expert( glasurit) but it is not my project.and yes allways do a test spray first.

as mentioned ppg agreed to pay the respray of the car...would be kind of embarrassing if they pay a competitor to get the job done.
    yes--when paint manufacturers change the system as happened a couple of times in the last decades they obviously did not pay to much attention translating the old formulas into the new one.

but i think there must be many light ivory cars paintet with PPG products.

Porsche Centre Gelderland in The Netherlands had both a 911 1965 and a 1964 ivory restored (see also their website). You can call them (Mark Wegh) to check how they did it.
    member 2971 Jacques
    911 March 1965
    912 April 1965
    911 May 1965
    964 RS clone (one of many)
    964 Targa original Dutch police car (one of 45)
    964 Turbo 3.6 (one of 1450)
    993 S Vesuvio (one of 250)

Banned
    Been ambushed by this very thing but didn't spray a whole car before finding out!

Glasurit POR 131 is what we use for Light Ivory.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank Beck View Post
    B.... didn't spray a whole car before finding out!

Glasurit POR 131 is what we use for Light Ivory.
    i have not been involved in this project...until yesterday...
    it`s not my fault,it`s not my fault,it`s not my fault,it`s not my fault,it`s not my fault,it`s not my fault,it`s not my fault,it`s not my fault,
    it`s not my fault,it`s not my fault,it`s not my fault,it`s not my fault,it`s not my fault,it`s not my fault,it`s not my fault,it`s not my fault,

Banned
    Lol
    That brings back bad memories of first grade and chalk boards.

But I promise you that I didn't get away with writing "not my fault" 100 times.

More like

"I promise not to spit on the girls while on top of the big red tower".

Damon used PPG Light Ivory (and Tangerine) on 806 and it came out GREAT. Not even the most fastidious concours judge (ahem) can tell the difference between PPG and Glasurit once the cans are in the trash, color being equal. And we've heard the stories of trying to translate ancient colors into modern (including water-based) paint lines.

I concur that having a good relationship with the PPG rep and spraying out test cards first is the best way to avoid what-the-hell-elfenbein.
    1966 911 #304065 Irischgruen

just a side note:

water based paint is as useless as a 911 smog pump in LA